Question Details
Severe Hind Limb Paresis
by ericahawker - May 18, 2009
I have a 9 yr old MN Pug that has severe hind limb paresis and ataxia as a result of chronic degen changes in T12-13 (had disc sx in 2006 at this location) along with chronic disc protrusion from L7-S1 based on MRI.

He did not respond to Si Miao San and acupuncture. On exam he is BAR, no spinal pain but ataxic and paretic in rear limbs. Owner says it takes a lot of work from his front limbs to pull up the rear limbs.

Eating Nutro Ultra (hasn't started homecooked diet despite my recommendations) and does better after physical therapy. Currently on antioxidants, fish oil, Standard Process musculoskeletal and Rimadyl. Owner is concerned about quality of life. He still is able to urinate and defecate on his own, but having more accidents in house and I diagnosed a UTI yesterday.

Does not have a signif temp preference but does not like rain or snow when his paws get wet. Normal formed stools 2-3 per day and urinates every few hours. Great appetite, normal thirst. Decreased energy recently. Tongue is pink, moist and pulse is superficial and moderate strength.

I am considering Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang or Xiao Huo Luo Dan.

Thank you-
Erica
Replies
by naturevet
May 18, 2009
Hi Erica,

My first stop with this dog would be chiropractic. It's probably imperative that you track someone down to assist you. If they are a human chiropractor, as long as they use an Activator set to a very low impact, it should be fine. That seems essential.

In the past I've seen pugs respond reasonably well to Kidney tonics. Rehmannia Eight is a safe one to try. Definitely re-evaluate the dog once the chiropractic is done as the pulse may change considerably with it's use.

S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply