Question Details
Non Viable Sperm
by DrSusanP - May 20, 2009
My patient is a two year old great dane whose previous history includes otitis externa at 12 mths and 22 months( no organisms on microscopy), full anal sacs and painful enlargement of prostate with urine dribbling, at 22 months which resolved with a herbal preparation of saw palmetto, epilobium, nettle root. His diet is commercial chicken dry food and chicken mince. Recently he was collected for semen storage and the collector discovered fresh blood, mainly dead and malformed sperm. He was given a herbal mixture containing damiana and gingko biloba which caused vomiting and anorexia.
He presented as a timid dog, he loves warmth. His tongue was lavender with lines of white phlegm. He was sensitive to palpate his lumbar spine and dropped his hind quarters. His pulse was wiry. Head hot to palpate. Cool extremities. He had a red 3 mmlump lower lip( red blood cells and occasional neutrophil on FNA) and has been noted to scratch all over during the last week.Traditionally I understand male infertility to be kidney yang and kidney jing deficiency.( root)(Seeking warmth, lower back pain and timidity with history of ears.) However suspect a blood heat and damp heat (branch)( blood in ejaculate, red skin lesion and pruritis) spleen deficiency vomiting). I haave started with acupuncture
to tonify kidney yang( Bl 23, bai hai, gv 4, GB 20, bl 40, 60, nourish spleen Sp 6. And one week of herbal preparation Qing Ying tang to expel heat and cool heart fire.
Any ideas..will wait 8 weeks before he is collected again.
Replies
by naturevet
May 19, 2009
Hi there,

Interesting case. You're quite right in that the Kidneys are typically implicated in sperm problems in dogs. Sometimes they respond well to that approach and sometimes not.

In your dog's case, though, I'm suspecting something different from the Kidneys as the root of the problem. The efficacy of the Saw Palmetto blend tells us you could well have been dealing with a Stasis condition of the lower burner, since that is very much how the herb seems to work - by relieving Stasis.

Stasis, especially involving the prostate and reproductive organs is usually a Liver condition in my experience, and that seems consistent with what else you're finding (e.g. the wiry pulse). One of the most common causes of Liver Qi Stagnation, for example, is Liver Blood deficiency, which typically produces the low grade itch and cool extremities, as well as a lavender tongue. Qi Stasis produces Blood stasis and bleeding.

It's common to have low back pain referred from pelvic stasis, as many menstruating women can attest. Liver Qi stagnation will certainly predispose to Spleen and Stomach issues such as vomiting.

So I see one diagnosis here that can essentially cover all your symptoms. For me, that would be enough to try it. Points might include BL 18, BL 17, ST 37 (Sea of Blood point), BL 27, BL 28, SP 6 and CV 3. Stimulate as needed to relieve the wiry pulse, or just insert the needles without otherwise stimulating. If you insert BL 18 and the wiry pulse is lessened, you have your diagnosis.

Herbally, the Qing Ying Tang may help, since it has a strong Blood and Yin tonifying effect.

A more specific formula might be Ge Xia Zhu Yu Tang, which moves stagnant Qi and Blood, including from the lower abdomen (although traditionally touted for the cranial or upper abdomen). We've used it successfully even for prostatic tumors, so it should help here. It contains Wu Yao Tang, which is an alternative formula for you. It primarily just moves Liver Qi and has a mild Blood tonifying effect, once again with an affinity for the lower burner. Given that the dog is already on Qing Ying Tang, perhaps simply using Wu Yao Tang in addition to Qing Ying Tang is sufficient. Wherever you are, our distributors can make Wu Yao Tang for you if you don't otherwise have it.

Good luck. I'm sure we'd love to hear how this turns out!

Steve
by DrSusanP
May 27, 2009
Thanks so much for the prompt reply. The dog returned yesterday for follow up and he is much improved, has gained 2 kg and no longer needed to sit on his owners lap!
He had had no pruritis or vomiting. I checked yes the pulse did soften with Bl 18, thus have used the points you suggested plus started on the Ge xia zhu yu tang.
Will let you know the results of the next collection.
Thank you
Susan
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply