Question Details
by Chase Farm - May 26, 2009
13 yr old golden retreiver prev history benign pericardial effusion now Cushings
Currently pu/pd nocturnal restlessness dry flakey dander ravenous weight loss
Tongue-red cracks
Pulse-Deep wiry fast
dx empty heat, blood and yin deficiency
active acu+ pnts
GB25+ BL20+ LIV14
no response on Chai Hu Mu Gu Li Tang
Suggestions
Replies
by naturevet
May 26, 2009
Hi there,

You forgot to give your post a topic! Anyway....

In some animals, the Cushing's progresses to a severe Yin deficiency. These animals also often have some demonstrable liver pathology on ultrasound and very high liver enzymes. Your patient may be one of these animals, especially if it has intractable weight loss, ravenous appetite and ravenous thirst.

Our successes in this (fortunately) small sliver of cases has come from using herbs to address the liver, and a sub-normal dose of trilostane to address the Cushing's. For the liver, we've found Ge Xia Zhu Yu Tang has been effective. Then we use the minimum dose of trilostane needed to get some weight on the dog, calm down the appetite, etc. In addition, a cooling moving Yin tonic seems a good idea (as you mentioned). For this, we've actually gone with Qing Ying Tang.

So I would suggest that as a little trio for your case and see what happens. Up until we went this route, we'd have trouble stabilizing these patients.

Steve
by Chase Farm
May 26, 2009
I know, I am a newby at this forum stuff. But thanks for the help- you rock Jean p.s I tried to go back in and put in a topic but couldn't sorry...I'll let you know
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply