Question Details
Timid Show Dogs.
by johnk - May 30, 2009
Dear Steve,
I recently have had quite a few timid show or stud breeding dogs. I think instantly Blood deficiency however not all of them have pale tongues or show Blood deficient signs, Most are quite young healthy Yang type animals. I have been reluctant to use a pure Blood tonic for fear of causing too much Dampness so have been putting them on DGSYS and Kava tablets. The only reason I picked DGSYS was to generically increase Blood without causing Dampness. I have had promising results with the first one that was a standard Schnauzer , however I thought this one had a bit of a pale tongue.
Is this a reasonable approach to take? Am I missing some other pattern other than Blood deficiency that can be treated. I have contemplated using Tian Wang Bu Xin Dan but am not really sure what its indications are yet. Or can I be a little more brave and use a more powerful Blood tonic without causing Damp symptoms in these young dogs?
thanks John.
Replies
by naturevet
May 30, 2009
Hi John,

Your prudent approach is just fine. If you're on the right track, you'll get somewhere. There's a considerable overlap between many Blood formulas, which means if you're on the right track, all of them will net some results. As a case evolves, you may find yourself changing from one to another to address nuances that use of a slightly inappropriate formula will help bring out. But it's important to just get going, which you're doing, so I like your approach.

The only other major Chinese diagnosis associated with timidity is Kidney deficiency. This does sometimes happen, but in a definite minority of cases.

So I think you're very safe to start as you have been. Only the classic cases will have those compelling tongues, anyway.

Remember that where an animal does respond well, they need a higher protein diet as their ongoing source of Blood. Studies have shown clearly that corn-based diets can lead to tryptophan, and thence seretonin, deficiencies, and when higher protein levels are introduced, the tryptophan and seretonin deficiency causing anxiety is reversed. So that's the likely long term biomedical impact of diets on behaviour. In the short term, a lot of these formulas are probably just relieving anxiety by improving cognition through the bolstering of cerebral blood flow.

All the best,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply