Question Details
Hemorragic Edema In Shoulder
by Michelle1 - June 7, 2009
Hi Steve,

Have seen this dog voer teh past 6 weeks for what initially looked like a spider bite that came up suddenly on her forelimb. initally responded to topical raw honey, then the dog chewed the area and it was much larger (from 1.5cm to 3 cm defect) Have been keeping her from licking it, but then she developed edematous swelling above the lesion into the shoulder area that was reddish/ purple and a fever of 104.2F
Started her on doxycylcine and amoxi, but she is no better. I am concenred that the heat and blood stasis may actaully be a tumor, though I cannot localize it on palpation. Is there much hope in using something like Hoxsey at this point- she is having alot of difficulty walking since this weekend now, too, and I am worried about her quality of life.
Thanks for your words of experience,
Michelle
Replies
by naturevet
June 7, 2009
Wow, it must be a bad lesion, but it's always worth treating the dog. Some horrendous things don't end up responding but many do. The only way to find out is to try.

Qing Ying Tang and Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin are both good choices for nasty bleeding bite/puncture wounds. I'd use them together since you're desperate. Also, the original use of Echinacea by the native Americans was for just this sort of thing. You should get somewhere with those recommendations. Dose heavily with the Echinacea. Use a 'blend' and give at least 0.2 ml per 5 lbs TID.

Lastly, I'd also give the dog Arnica 30C (homeopathic) twice daily orally and slather some bentonite clay on as well to help pull the toxin out.

You should see some results.

Steve
by bannink
June 9, 2009
Yikes Michelle,

That sounds suspiciously like a mast cell tumor doesn't it? Albeit a very aggressive one. Especially with all that inflammation. I don't know if you practice any conventional medicine but if you do attempt to aspirate it I would be careful because you could really make it angry - I would for sure give an injection of Benadryl pre-aspirate (and you might need dex if it really blows up). Sometimes I will just do a touch prep of the blood on a slide and that will have enough cells to give you a diagnosis.

Given the aggressive edematous nature of the tumor and surrounding tissue, you might find that adding some benadryl in (1mg/lb BID), at least at the beginning, will help calm things down if the herbs need a little more time to kick in, or a little help from their western cousins to get the swelling and erythema down. I have also used Albezia as a successful alternative antihistamine to benadryl when we wanted to stay strictly with herbals but you will probably need to use a pretty big dose of that.

I would really appreciated hearing how this responds since I can see some pretty nasty tumors in my oncology practice. Keep us posted.

Erin
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply