Question Details
Cal Ox Stones In Cat
by cchcs21 - June 7, 2009
I have a client with a 1.5yr old MN DSH cat that was seen at the ER clinic over this weekend. He was straining to urinate but was not blocked. The x-ray showed bladder stones. The UA showed crystalluria. He is eating OK and home again. The ER vet only gave metacam and sent him home. He is fed dry food (Wysong) and the occassional mouse, as he is a horse barn cat. He is an overweight lazy male cat with dental tartar on PE, otherwise normal. Can you suggest a formula for him? I was thinking wei ling tang but didn't know if there is another better idea?
Thanks!
Replies
by naturevet
June 7, 2009
Hi there,

Our favorite two formulas for calcium oxalates are Dang Gui Shao Yao San and San Ren Tang. Generally, in a cat, we use San Ren Tang first. It seems to inhibit stone formation and makes the urine slightly more dilute to favor stone dissolution. It seems to work well, making me think the stones we see in animals are more dynamic and in a state of flux then we might realize. The herbs seem to shift that balance away from stone formation, resulting in a net dissolution. If we're lucky, the formula will control some of the symptoms of urgency, helping to buy you some time for stone dissolution. We also favor moving AWAY from carb-based foods and toward higher protein diets. This is contrary to standard practice, but appears to work well. In all likelihood, these higher protein levels are normal for a carnivore, but the restriction of carbohydrate intake reduces the amount of inflammation going on in the urinary system, removing the particulate matter that forms stone nidi.

Hope that helps you out. Let us know how it goes.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply