Question Details
HGE Dachshund
by marneemadsen - June 10, 2009
Hello,
I have been treating a Dachshund for about a year for hindend pain and SARDS. He has responded well to diet, acp, and Xiao Huo Luo Dan -no back pain now. He has also been on a low dose of Gui Fu Si Wu Tang and his pupils will occasionally constrict, but still not visual.

He is always heat seeker and stools perfect on homemade cooked foods and herbs. I saw him June 1, and he had a slight discharge from his eye, dry fine dander (with occasional larger flakes), Pulse weak on Left (common for him) and slightly wiry on R. Tongue was a bit red with red/ purplish underside. Pts often BL 18 S, BL 20 S, sometimes BL17s, BL 23.

Owner is packing for big move to midwest and he has been anxious. I cut back his GFXWT wondering if he was getting a little warm and damp. On 6/7, he went to emergency clinic with HGE. HCT 44 (usually 48), PCV 59, TS 9.0, WBC 2000, very mild liver enzyme elevations. No fever, and started with vomiting then progressively worse diarrhea.

Wondering if herbs created Damp Heat (no heat signs at home) or if move and worry made Spleen Qi worse and Spleen not controlling blood?

They put him on gobs of drugs...metronidazole and clavamox, anti-emetics...he is home and recovering, no adverse signs yet from abx, though only 3 days now. I will see him next week.

Would love your thoughts on mechanism in general HGE and for this guy.

Thanks!!

Marnee
Replies
by naturevet
June 9, 2009
Hi Marnee,

I look at HGE as a Damp Heat pathology. It would be very odd for a dog to tolerate those two therapies for so long, and suddenly have a Damp Heat reaction to them, however. Certainly anxiety (i.e. Worry) can injure the Spleen. From a homeopathic perspective, too, I see this as mental-emotional in origin. Indeed, the combination of anxiety, dry coat, chills, and bloody vomiting/diarrhea constitute classic indications for the homeopathic remedy Arsenicum album. This remedy is notoriously effective where GI hemorrhage and anxiety coincide, thereby confirming the link between them. If he doesn't rally quickly, that's what I'd put him on next.

Good luck!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply