Question Details
Cushing\'s In Shepard Mix
by Michelle1 - June 10, 2009
Hi Steve,
Have a dog with alopecia and increased thirst with a low dose dex test sugesting adrenal tumor. started her on Minor Bupleurum yesterday (waiting for the GXZYT to arrive). her owner reports that she seems to be drinking more water and may have some abdominal discomfort- trouble getting comfortable. She was looking in an herb book and saw a note the licorice was better for Addison's, not Cushing's. I told her that i am not an herbalist, but have used this based on other caes with alot of success, but would ask you if her symptoms could be related to the herb. thought it would take a couple of weeks before the herbs would have much effect, so not convinced that what she is seeing is from the Bupleurum- what do you think?
Thanks for your feedback,
Michelle
Replies
by naturevet
June 10, 2009
Hi Michelle,

The owner is quite right that Licourice alone would aggravate Cushing's, but when used in a formula that fits overall, we don't see that aggravating effect.

What I think is more likely is just that the dog has a GXZYT deficiency, if you will. Once you get it and get going with it, the current pains should ease up, even with continued use of XCHT.

For now, if the owner wants to lower the dose, I think that's okay. The type of symptoms you'd expect Licourice (and Ginseng) to aggravate are PU/PD, polyphagia, panting and heat intolerance. I wouldn't expect it to aggravate pain. It could make the dog restless. Once the GXZYT is on board, I would expect a synergy between the two rather than for XCHT to be aggravating.

Does the owner want to try some Hoxsey in the meantime? That should cool things off and begin to work on the tumor.

Hope that helps you out!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply