Question Details
Diabetes Mellitus Cat
by landauvet - June 12, 2009
Hello Steve,

I am treating a 6 year old manx cat for diabetes mellitus. I use the term treating loosely. I can not examine him at all physically. Here is the history.
I have known this cat a few years because he lives at a horse farm that I go to. He has had a life of free feeding cheap kibble and canned food. He has been obese and had a poor dull coat. Mostly indoor. Last Summer he had some episodes of diarrhea and vomiting. Last December he was brought to the primary vet. Blood glucose > 300 and obese. Insulin was recommended but declined because the owners had no ability to treat this cat. I started him on a combination of Si Miao San and Wei Ling Tang at that time. I also recommended dietary modifications. One month later on new food, the cat stopped eating and became very lethargic. Went to the ER. Diabetic ketoacidosis and uncontrolled DM was the diagnosis. Ketones in the urine, Blood glucose 470.
They brought him home in February after being stabilized. I continued him on the same herbal combination and just made sure that he ate (Wellness and Friskies canned to get the herbs in). He has done great. I saw him last night and he acts completely normal and is playful. Still some pu/pd. The owners do not want to bring him in to check sugars because it is so stressful to do anything to this cat.
Can I maintain him on the some 50/50 (SMS/WLT) mix? Anything else? He does seek the cool environments in the hose, but otherwise not too hot.

Thanks,
Kevin
Replies
by naturevet
June 14, 2009
Hi Kevin,

No problem continuing the same protocol of SMS and WLT, particularly if the cat is doing well. Any chance of upgrading the cat's diet? That would surely be the fastest route to stabilizing the animal and even making the herbs unnecessary over time.

Anyway, under the circumstances, you're doing great! Continued good luck!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply