Question Details
King Charles With Polyarthritis
by rmtran - June 15, 2009
Hi,

There is a 1 year old King Charles with polyarthritis.

I was consulted on the case if there is anything I can do. She came in with recumbency, and rDVM treated her with doxy with no response. Tick titers are all negative. An internist removed pus from elbow joint, and most of the joint except tarsus is affected and swollen, painful.

I saw this patient while it was under anesthesia, so tongue/pulse are not probably accurate. Her tongue was red, and her pulse was strong.

With this minimum data, would Qing Yin Tang be a best bet for this patient?

She started to vomiting while on doxy; they think that doxy affected her since her appetite was low and got meds in empty stomach.

I would be able to see her again today and get more info.

Thank you for your help!

Rieko
Replies
by naturevet
June 15, 2009
Hi Rieko,

One of the original uses of Si Miao San (Er Miao San, actually) was rheumatoid arthritis in people. It works well where there are pronounced signs of inflammation, big puffy joints, and digestive issues.

The same would be expected for dogs and cats. Given the pus, low appetite, aggravation by antibiotics, vomiting, rapid pulse and red tongue, I'd start there. If the dog is actually drying out, the pulse will become deep and some dryness signs will materialize, but meanwhile the joints should improve significantly.

Naturally an anti-inflammatory diet will help greatly here. I'd recommend raw if you and the owner are comfortable with it.

Good luck. This could be a fun case for you.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply