Question Details
Cat With Gi Lymphoma
by tradcliffe - June 15, 2009
I am treating an obese, 14 yo Fs cat with GI lymphoma with Si Miao
San and Hocksey. She has been having trouble with small, dry BMS, and vomiting while passing them. She has responded well to AP for 7-10 days at a time, where she will eat well, stop vomiting and have normal BMs, then regress. ST 25 seems to be an extremely relaxing point for her, as well as CV points. She originally had BL 20,21 as active points, now BL25 seems to be only active point I find. Tongue is moist, pale, pulses are thin and deep, get stronger after AP. Is there something I can add to her herbs, or a formula I should change to address the constipation (she is not overly full of stool at any one time). Recent Xrays have an obscured heart shadow although heart sounds are normal, and decreased abdominal detail (fat or fluid?). Her appetite has been variable, right now owners think she looks comfortable, but doesn't want to eat.
Replies
by naturevet
June 15, 2009
Hi there,

I'm wondering if San Ren Tang is a good choice for this cat. It works well where there is vomiting, constipation, a purplish swollen moist tongue, loss of appetite, and even cough or dyspnea. Points on the lateral abdomen like SP 15 and ST 25 (which are adjacent to each other) are strongly suggestive it will help. So I'd sub it in for SMS, or just add it the protocol if you're nervous about losing any gains you've had. If there's no real improvement on the current protocol, you're probably safe to switch to San Ren Tang. It contains Yi Yi Ren (Coix), which is the single most commonly prescribed herb in China for the treatment of cancer. While we look at lymphoma as needing a more aggressive cooling formula, there are exceptions. In particular, some animals tend to need the SMS replaced by SRT as they improve, in order to maintain their appetites. I can remember one leiomyosarcoma case I held for literally years, largely with San Ren Tang. So the anti-cancer potential is there. Given how it matches the symptoms, I'd roll the dice and give it a try.

All the best,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply