Question Details
Mild Rash In Groin And Pruritus
by ericahawker - June 15, 2009
I have a 5 yr old MN Chocolate lab that I think needs things a bit tweaked. I saw him last month for diarrhea that occurred after being prescribed cephalexin for a superficial pyoderma in the groin. At that visit he had bilateral erythema in the groin, but no papules or pustules. Also has a lipoma in his axilla. TNTC clostridium on fecal cytology. Pulse--deep, wiry. Tongue-pink with some lavender. Overall signs seemed consistent with damp heat. I started him on Si Miao San. We changed diet to Wellness Core.

Saw him back 3 weeks later and saw some improvment but mild. Diarrhea and gas resolved with diet change and meds. The erythema is still present in the groin and owner notes it worsens with activity and he frequently licks the area. Same tongue and pulse as first exam but pulse seems weak.

So, now I am also thinking blood deficiency based on pulse and has been on fish oil with no greasiness to coat. However, response to keflex with it being an antiobiotic (bitter, cooling) would that go along with blood defic also? I know both damp heat and blood defic stems from the spleen and diet. I think she might consider home cooked diet/raw for him.

So since, SMS improved the symptoms a little, should I add in Si Wu Xiao Feng Yin for bldod defic?

Thank you-
Erica
Replies
by naturevet
June 15, 2009
Hi Erica,

The aggravation in response to antibiotics suggests a Spleen coldness. The pulse suggests the overall vascular effect of the formula needs to be an outward push of the circulation to the periphery. So SMS, while helpful, isn't ideal. It's net effect is to pull blood to the interior, making it well indicated for animals with superficial slippery pulses. Chu Shi Wei Ling Tang is usually the right Damp formula for animals worse on antibiotics and that have deep wiry pulses. It's strongly aromatic, helping to improve epithelial blood flow. On the skin, this can help resolve a bacterial infection. In the colon, it can do the same, by cutting way back on the number of anaerobic areas in the colon where bacteria can thrive due to decreased perfusion.

If the dog's issues were actually dryness, SMS often worsens these. Since the dog was mildly better, I'd try the CSWLT first.

Good luck!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply