Question Details
Chronic Vomiting In Hypothyroid Beagle
by ericahawker - June 15, 2009
I have a patient that is a 4 yr old MN Beagle that is hypothyroid and being treated with soloxine. He had 2 seizures in August and October for the 1st time and none since. No meds for seizures. He started vomiting 1-2 times per day in October 2008. The vomiting has now decreased to every few days. He has had extensive workups at referral with normal cortisol levels, Cpli,fecal, ultrasound and barium series all being normal. He did have some improvement on freq of vomiting since on z/d. He has a great appetite and usually vomits up food several hours after eating and occasionally eats the vomitus. Past few months he has been more anxious and wants to go in and out. He frequently licks his lips and chews at his groin.

All normal on exam. Pulse is deep and wiry. Tongue is pink/slightly lavender. Great appetite. Likes to lie in sun, sleep in owners bed. Groans frequently when lying down. Dreams a lot.

I think he is blood deficient with some stasis based on tongue. I was thinking of Ping Wei San for the vomiting and maybe add in Dang Gui Shao Yao San for the hypothyroidism.

Thanks-
Erica
Replies
by ericahawker
June 15, 2009
After some consideration, I am thinking of Wei Ling Tang instead of Ping Wei San.

Erica
by naturevet
June 15, 2009
I like your logic! I'd try it out. If you want to just use one thing, start with the Wei Ling Tang, since it can correct Blood deficiency by simply supporting the Spleen.

Also, homeopathic Ferrum metallicum 30C generally is very effective in animals that vomit food undigested many minutes to hours after eating, then reconsume it. It is probably readily available through stores that sell supplements in your area. Give it twice daily.

Hope that helps!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply