Question Details
Dermatitis Dog
by landauvet - June 16, 2009
Hi Steve
Please help me sort out this difficult case.
Chandler is a 230lb 3yr old St Bernard MC. PC dermatitis and hip dysplasia. Diet consists of ok quality nibble. I am on the process of convincing them to feed a raw diet. These clients are poor and want short sessions of aquapuncture to keep cost down. Herbs have generally been out of the question due to cost
Dermatitis is worst on chin around eyes and nose which gets cpmpletely dried out with painful cracks. Belly is involved sometimes. Lesions are generally ontensely red and get raw. Very droopy eye lids with conjunctivits. He had cherry eye surgery. His belly is usually sweaty. Chandler lives on 24 benadryl per day to control his itch. He also gets 14grams of fosh oil daily which helps his itch and coat

Chandler was diagnosed with bilateral hip dysplasia at three months of age. He gets weak in his hind end during walks and is slow and stiff in movement.
At 4mpnths old Chandler had bloat surgery. His spleen and part of his stomach were removed. After his castration he bloated again. He is the fsrtiedt dog I have ever heard or smelled.
Two visits ago I gave them a bottle of chi duo Wei long yang to see how it helped
Tongue top was pale pink with copious slimy saliva. Underside was congested and lavender. Pulse at first was slippery and deep. Later I could not feel it at all. Active points. Bl40, LI10
He is fat, hot and panty and stinky. His skin lesions are hot why are his pulses so hard to feel? I would continue to donate herbs or sell at cost if I knew what to give. He did improve a little on the cswlt I am considering using chjlgmlt for tv burner obstruction even though acuppimts do not concur. Maybe SMS? Help and thanks

Kevin Landau

I realize now that I have written all this out that he is a disaster. I will continue to push for diet change
m
Replies
by naturevet
June 16, 2009
Hi there,

If the owners are poverty stricken, all the more reason to feed an appropriate diet. Hopefully they'll see that eventually.

Meanwhile, herbally speaking, I'd try San Ren Tang. There's plenty of signs of Heat and Damp, given the redness, moisture, ventral lesion distribution, and gas. I'm sure this is part of a generalized tendency to inflammation which has facilitated the hip dysplasia and associated joint damage. The history of bloat indicates a need to regulate peristalsis. The wiry pulse indicates a need for better peripheral circulation, in spite of the skin inflammation.

Putting all that together, the first thing I would try is San Ren Tang. It regulates peristalsis, is a decent anti-inflammatory, drains Damp, clears Heat, but is not too aggressive in case we're wrong. It's most helpful when the pulse is deep. A purple swollen moist tongue attends most cases that benefit. It also disperses Wind, which BL 40 could have indicated a need for. It's more cooling than CSWLT, so it should work even better than the latter.

So that's what I'd try. Hopefully it will go well for you. Continue to push for diet change.

Best of luck!

Steve
by landauvet
August 11, 2009
Steve,

I wanted to follow up on this dog. I sent this owner a bottle of SRT at no charge (first mistake) to help with his skin. She has switched him to raw diet and he vomits up some of the raw beef and pork but is ok with others like chicken and lamb. He threw up the SRT even at a low dose of 1/2 tsp bid. He weighs close to 200 lbs. She stopped the herbs and did not tell me there was a problem until today's appointment. AARG!
Now I would not consider SRT to be too cold like raw food to cause vomiting right away and am a little confused. He otherwise still has a lot of damp heat signs and stiffness to HLs. He lives on a lot of benadryl or else his lips and face get very inflamed. Pulse was still deep and slippery. His tongue seemed a bit improved since the owner started to make the diet change. Damp and Sp points predominate on his body. Pulse did not obviously improve with any treatment to Sp-6, BL- 40, BL- 60 , BL-23 All these points were acupunctured so that she could minimize the duration of her appointment to keep cost down.
What do you think I should learn from this response toSRT and what would be a good next choice?

Kevin Landau
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply