Question Details
Anemia Golden Retriever
by nickik1 - June 16, 2009
Iam dealing with a 4yr old Golden retriever that developed anemia after being spayed. No blood was done prior to the spay so it is unknown if it was pre existing. Blood work was normal other than the PCV of 12, RBC 0f 2.0 initially.There was no agglutination on saline test, no NRBC's or other evidence for hemolysis. Abdominal ultrasound was normal-no splenic or liver mass, no indication for bleeding internally. No discharge from the vulva.PCV dropped to 10, she was transfused and placed on prednisone and doxycycline, tick titers were started which came back negative. Today I am seeing her, 5 weeks post transfusion: PCV is 22, her tongue is mostly pale but very red on the tip, white coating present. She is very weak in her hindend but does not appear painful and is showing signs of muscle wasting.Pulses are deep but rapid and forceful, stronger on the right than the left. Owner really wants to get her off of prednisone and is open to herbal therapy. I believe her to be blood deficient,spleen deficient. What would be my best course of action from an herbal standpoint?
Replies
by naturevet
June 16, 2009
Hi there,

I agree with your assessment of Blood deficiency. The rapid pulse indicates Heat. Muscle wasting can be from Spleen deficiency or too much Heat. What we do herbally depends on how we put these fragments together. I'm assuming that a forceful pulse meant that it raised your finger tip, in which case we have a form of Stasis as well, whether due to Liver Qi stagnation or an invading pathogen. The red tongue tip indicates Heart Fire.

On paper, these fragments can organize themselves a number of ways. We could theorize Blood deficiency causing Liver Qi stagnation; this results in Wood over controlling Earth to further impair Blood synthesis. The chronic Stasis produces Heat manifesting as a rapid forceful pulse and red tongue tip. If this intuitively made sense to you, then Xiao Yao San, or especially Jia Wei Xiao Yao San (Xiao Yao San with some blood moving, blood cooling and Heart cooling herbs added) would be in order.

A second possiblity would be an invading Heat pathogen. These tend to damage the Blood and Yin, creating muscle wasting, Blood stasis and secondary Blood deficiency. Heart Fire is created by the Heat pathogen being transferred to the Blood as it passes through the Heart. In addition, the impaired peripheral circulation doesn't allow the Blood to cool and the Heat pathogen to be dispersed. This is a common mechanism of hemolytic anemia and blood pathogens from a western point of view. This mechanism is treated by Qing Ying Tang.

Of the two, it's a bit of a toss up, but I'd go with choice number one, given the lack of any evidence to the contrary (e.g. evidence of an invading pathogen). If we're right, even Xiao Yao San should begin to rectify things. It's also a very safe formula, so we're unlikely to generate any problems in the event we're wrong.

Hope that helps! Let us know how it turns out.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply