Question Details
Thrombocytopenia
by lifeline - June 16, 2009
Patient is a 4 year old American Bull Terrier. We had seen her for several years but not since Sept 2006. She has come in again and now has severe immune-mediated Thrombocytopenia (IMT) and platelet count is around 4. Her tongue is purplish with a thin white coating. In recent weeks she has had sub-dermal bleeding in the abdominal area.
Replies
by naturevet
June 16, 2009
The information is a little scanty to be sure what will work. Here are things that may help SEVERE ITP:
Xiao Chai Hu Tang - first choices for cases with palpable splenomegaly.
Si Miao San - first choice for cases with obvious Damp Heat, including generalized inflammatory tendencies, weight gain, and benign growths
Qing Ying Tang - use for severely hot animals with deep wiry pulses; one of the top choices for ITP from vaccination

Those are my top recommendations. Hopefully you'll be able to take it from here.

Steve
by lifeline
June 17, 2009
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply. This patient is hot and has deep wiry pulse and appears damp. Could I combine two herbs or use one at a time.
Also If you could give the dose of Ren Shen in people for use in gestational diabetes. We had used it with my wife with great results.
Thanks again
Kam
by naturevet
June 17, 2009
Given the pulse, I'd be tempted to try Qing Ying Tang. But you can use Si Miao San and Qing Ying Tang simultaneously.

S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply