Question Details
Old Weak Dog
by cchcs21 - June 16, 2009
Hello

Thanks in advance for your help again!

BJ is a 13 yo yellow lab MN who has deteriorated significantly in the last couple of months. He has lost 7 pounds and muscles loss is generalized. Moles and red/bleeding tumors have developed on the skin. He is overall weak/ataxic and mellower (used to be aggressive).

TCM questions:
He prefers cold but will shiver on damp days.
He has frequent brown discharge from his eyes.
He is painful in the hindlimbs - worse in the morning. Better once he is moving. He prefers hard surfaces.
BM and urinary habits have not changed.
He still has a ravenous appetite. and is fed Canidae and veggies with Old Roy treats. He is not on any meds or supplements.
His thirst may have increased somewhat recently.
He sleeps soundly without dreams and through the whole night rests comfortable.
Tongue pale, thin, pinkish
pulse: slow and weak

PE: arthritic front right paw (swollen)
eye discharge
severe dental tartar
thin body condition with muscle wasting on face and hindlimbs most prominent
stiff gait
deaf
dull mentation
dry, poor quality haircoat.

The owners main concern is making sure he is comfortable and not painful. She is also concerned about the bleeding lesions on skin, as these break open.

Suggestions?
Thanks!!
Replies
by naturevet
June 16, 2009
Doesn't anyone have easy cases anymore?

Okay, first things first. A fine needle aspirate or biopsy of the bleeding lesions seems in order. Has this been done? If not, results may prove helpful, in the event we don't get anywhere.

Now to the symptoms:
If BJ has a normal appetitue and normal stools, yet has lost weight, this can indicate Yin deficiency. Other signs of dryness include the stiffness, deafness, dullness, preference for coolness and dry haircoat. I take it hypothyroidism has been ruled out as a cause of the facial muscle changes. If he strikes you as having had masticatory myositis in the past, Qing Ying Tang can be very helpful in reversing that condition. It's also a major formula for Yin deficiency and hemorrhage (due to both Stasis and Heat). The pale tongue fits more Blood deficiency, but this in turn can arise from Kidney Yin (i.e. Essence) deficiency, so it's not inconsistent with what we are thinking above. The slowness of the pulse is a little surprising and would suggest Qi or Yang deficiency.

His lameness is a 'deficiency' lameness that improves with improved peripheral circulation. Qing Ying Tang would address this, too, as would a host of other formulas. The poor peripheral circulation might be what makes him shiver.

So, overall, I'd expect him to do okay on Qing Ying Tang. Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang, Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin, and Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang are all additional options. But given everything you've said, I'd go with Qing Ying Tang first. It treats Blood Heat, which is not that evident in his temperature preferences, but fits with the overall impression of Yin deficiency.

Omega 3 fatty acids are probably a good idea, too, given the dryness symptoms.

Good luck!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply