Question Details
Pemhigus Foleacieus
by todd - June 17, 2009
Dear Steve,
Am seeing dog with P.F. Lesions are mild compared to others I've seen: crusts which are white-yellow, mild redness. No digestive abnormalities.Seeks Heat. Normal thirst. Pulses open,full, strong, slight lift. Tongue--can't get a good look as dog tries to bite--but only happens at vet or territorially(Liver Blood Def? ).I can see that Tongue is red but that's about it--can't see coating. Feet are too warm, ear tips cool. Coat is dry.
I notice the herb consult recommends Hoxsey, exclusively. I see Heat, Damp(yellow in crusts), and Blood Def.(Dry coat and territorial? aggress.) Have you ever tried SMS? QYT? I would imagine you have. Do you usually go with only the herbs, or do you use the pred. , azothiaprine, etc. concurrantly(the dog is on such from dermatologist)? How long do you see before improve? Ever "cure"
Thank you!!!! Todd Metcalf

Replies
by naturevet
June 17, 2009
Hi Todd,

I agree with your analysis. Hoxsey covers all but the Blood deficiency. Given its reputation in pemphigus (for cure, especially where suspected to be due to liver damage or vaccination), I would start with it. You can always tonify Blood later.

If there is digestive weakness, you could start with Si Miao San plus Dang Gui. If there are not, another option is Long Dan Xie Gan Tang, which fits all your criteria.

If the dog is not on immunosuppressive therapies, I would hold off for a week or two and see what you accomplish with the herbs. If the dog is on them and tolerating them well, and even benefiting from them, just go ahead and introduce your therapies. If there is no benefit, or there are deleterious side effects, I would begin the weaning process (if the owner feels comfortable taking that step - I'm sure the dermatologist wouldn't be impressed).

I think that covers your questions. I would jump in with enthusiasm and expect some sort of benefit within the next couple of weeks if you're at all on the right track. You can always use SMS plus Hoxsey.

Good luck!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply