Question Details
CANINE HEMANGIOSARCOMA
by ROBINSON - June 17, 2009
I AM GOING TO SEE A 9 YR OLD CHES BAY RET. FOR FOLLOW-UP CARE FOR HEMANGIOSARCOMA. HE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH HA IN DECEMBER AND HAD A SPLENECTOMY AT THAT TIME AND WENT THROUGH A 15 WK COURSE OF CHEMO. THE OWNER WANTS TO DO WHAT SHE CAN WITH DIET AND SUPPLEMENTS TO HELP PREVENT RECURRENCE. THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE OF METASTASIS AT TIME OF SX/CHEMO. DOG IS CURRENTLY EATING BENEFUL DOG FOOD BUT OWNER IS WILLING TO COOK FOR HIM.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
WENDY
Replies
by ericahawker
June 17, 2009
I will offer some advice that Steve gave me for a recent HSA case.

First, Yunnan Pai Yao for hemostasis (15-30 kg dog gets 2 caps BID, >30 kg: 3 caps BID).

Then Vaccinium(Bilberry extract): 0.2 mls per 5 lbs BID. I cannot remember why this one is used.

Then Xiao Chai Hu Tang which is an anti-cancer formula by inhibiting angiogenesis and tonifies Qi and Blood along with many other functions.

Once you evaluate the patient based on history, pulse, tongue you would choose one of the formulas to add to the protocol: Xu Fu Zhu Yu Tang, GXZYT, Bu Yang Huan Wa Tang, or Dang Gui Shao Yao San.

I know Steve will have more to add to this, but hope this helps get you started. Also, I know he is also recommended raw diet if possible, but homecooked would still be so much better than Beneful.

Good luck!
Erica
by naturevet
June 17, 2009
Hi Wendy,

Erica's advice is excellent. The Vaccinium has been shown to have antineoplastic effects on human endothelial cell tumor lines.

If no mets appear over the next 6 to 12 months, then you can probably begin phasing out some of the protocol components. But I'd start aggressively. Typically, among the Blood movers, I'd choose among GXZYT, BYHWT and DGSYS. Ge Xia Zhu Yu Tang dogs will have some heat signs. Dang Gui Shao Yao San dogs might have Damp symptoms such as cystitis tendencies. Bu Yang Huan Wu Tang dogs may be Qi deficient and have pulses that strengthen with Spleen points like BL 20 or LV 13.

Hope that helps!

Steve
by
June 19, 2009
Dr. Marsden,
You also mentioned Dang Gui Bu Xue Tang for those tumors that might bleed. Is this in addition to Yunnan Baiyao/ Or maybe replace it for longer term use?
Jodi
by ROBINSON
June 21, 2009
Thank you everyone for your responses, they give me a great starting point.
wendy
by ROBINSON
June 21, 2009
Thank you everyone for your responses, they give me a great starting point.
wendy
by ROBINSON
June 21, 2009
Dr. Marsden,
I read in your book ( pg 333) that Xiao Chai Hu Tang has been associated with liver damage. Should I be concerned with this or it to be used with caution in liver disease cases.

Thanks, Wendy
by naturevet
June 21, 2009
Hi Wendy,

The liver damage was speculated to be possible at the time the text was written. To date, there has been no indication that XCHT poses a risk to the liver. Indeed, all research suggests exactly the opposite, making the formula one of our favorites to treat liver disease.

Good luck!

Steve
by ROBINSON
June 23, 2009
Hi Dr. Marsden,

Thanks for the update of XCHT. I just found out that the dog is on a lifetime dose of 12.5 mg cyclophosphamide and also some metacam. Looking at this dog he appears to be mostly damp with some heat. Will it be a problem to put him on XCHT and DGBXT in conjuction with cyclophosphamide and metacam??

Thanks again, wendy
by naturevet
June 23, 2009
I wouldn't necessarily expect problems, but why is the dog on cyclophoshpamide for life?

S
by ROBINSON
June 23, 2009
GOOD QUESTION. ONE WHICH I WILL NEED TO LOOK INTO FURTHER. SOUNDS A BIT EXTREME.

THANKS WENDY
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply