Question Details
Sick Sinus Syndrome/ Fainting
by todd - June 28, 2009
Am seeing schnauzer fainting from severe SSS. Is Diabetic,Had mucous soft stools(until on grain-free diet).Hx of UTI's, snoring,fatty tumors, High Alk.Ph....hence much Damp and Heat. Has Territoial and Fear Agg. and Anxieties, and dry coat, and slightly dry Tongue...hence Blood Def. Also has high Chol. and mod. Heart Murmur. Pulse opens w/ LIV 14.
Any ideas to help with the fainting?? Has done well overall on WLT and grain free diet --no more snoring or UTI's or Soft Stools. Acup?? Herbs??
Thanks a ton !!!!
Replies
by naturevet
June 29, 2009
Hi Todd,

I have two thoughts (Thanks for helping out with answering questions, by the way. I appreciate it):
1) I have had success with syncope from arrhythmia and heart failure by giving magnesium injections twice weekly. I think I've been using 10 mg/kg injectable magnesium, diluted 50:50 in saline and injected subcutaneously. The owners can inject it at home. The idea is that the heart contains 23X the level of magnesium of any other body tissue, because of its importance in mitochondrial metabolism. Heart failure and arrhythmias have been shown to be frequently associated with low levels of myocardial magnesium. Injections can restore these levels without producing GI losses. If it's going to be helpful in the SSS, you should be seeing less syncope within a couple of weeks of starting the injections.

Another thought relates to whether you've got myocarditis creating the SSS. If so, Si Miao San might be a good choice, given its potent anti-inflammatory effects. Or Si Miao San with Dang Gui to address the Blood deficiency as well.

Lastly, in the event that Damp is obstructing the Triple Burner, it can interfere with Source Qi formation, leading to Qi deficiency and collapse. In this case, combining San Ren Tang with Xiao Chai Hu Tang might be an option. That would potentially fit the activity at Liver 14, although not overwhelmingly so.

So those are some ideas to try. Hopefully they work for you.

Steve
by todd
July 2, 2009
Hi Steve,
Thank you for the thorough reply. I do not find TB obst, and don't suspect myocarditis--so ordered some magnesium. It came as mag-sulfate. Plumb pharmacology book lists contraindications as myocardial damage or heart block, and, adverse side effects as bradycardia. Strength of bottle is 500mg/ml. Just checking to see if this is what you are recommending.
Thanks again!!!! Todd
by naturevet
July 2, 2009
Hi Todd,

Yes, you've got the right stuff. Since you don't have a heart block per se or myocarditis, it should be fine. I've used it rather liberally according to the instructions I mentioned above, and have had no problems. The worst that can happen is that it makes no impact. The dose we're using is relatively low, so that may explain it. At any rate, at that dose, there really shouldn't be much of a contraindication. The only reason I'm advocating it is that sometimes magnesium uptake from the GI is limited by things like the amount of calcium in the diet, or just the effect of magnesium salts on increasing peristalsis. By injecting it, you bypass all that. So hopefully it works.

And don't worry about posting the question again. I get informed whenever somebody has posted a reply to any question. I also just scroll through the forum to make sure I haven't missed anything. So I would have caught your question above. I was simply delayed in my reply since my day is exactly your night, and since I spend all day working.

All the best,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply