Question Details
Mix Breed With Weakness
by rmtran - June 30, 2009
Hi again,

I have a new patient with general weakness.

He is a 12 years old MC dog (weighs 76 lbs). He was adopted by the current client 4 years ago. He has been very slow to move since the adoption, slow to eat, occasionally has loose stool for no obvious reasons.

He got very weak all of the sudden, and he is not able to use stairs well. He is on Metacam, that initially helped him but not much now. He has such a poot appetite, so he does not get the daily dose of it.

His pulse is extremely deep, and his tongue is something I have never seen; large and thin, red in general with pale rim, the center is eroded with cracks.

I feel that he has Qi Deficiency and false Heat. Is there a formula that I can use with Si Jun Zhi Tang to clear Heat? Or, would you please give me a suggestion that is more suitable formula for him.

Thank you!

Rieko

Replies
by naturevet
July 1, 2009
Hi Rieko,

I would wonder about something that had as its core herbs Astragalus and Dang Gui (Chinese Angelica). The correct a critical Blood and Qi deficiency that presents as a false or deficient Heat.

Since we know the dog responds at least in part to a Blood mover (the NSAID), we should pick a formula that has Blood movers in it, too.

If this thinking is correct, the only formula I can think of that's ideal is Bu Yang Huan Wu Tang. The formula is used to treat paralysis due to Qi deficiency and secondary Blood stasis. It finds use in stroke, epilpepsy, and even infantile paralysis in humans. I would try it here. Basically this is appearing like a form of Wei Syndrome. Are you coming to Mona's next advanced course? If so, maybe bring the case with you so we can discuss it further and find out how it did.

Good luck!

Steve
by rmtran
July 1, 2009
Thank you.

Yes, I am coming to the course. I will try to take a picture of his tongue if possible.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply