Question Details
Urinary Incont. Dog
by cchcs21 - June 30, 2009
Hello!

there is no hurry to reply to this, as the client knows that you are not available until July 13th. I am just sending the info in before I forget to do so. :)

Chewy is aprrox 5-6 year old FS Pitbull mix.

The owners have only had her for about 3 years and this problem has been going on the whole time. They have money problems and haven't been able to do much in the way of testing.

History: She was spayed as a 3 year old and was urinary incontinent while sleeping PRIOR to that. During her spay, a gross evaluation of abdominal contents didn't reveal any explanation. Post spay, the incontinence stayed completely the same, did not get better or worse. She not only has urinary accidents while sleeping but urinates frequently throughout the day and obsesses about water.

On physical exam, she has a pale lavender tounge, swollen vulva, and urine staining down her back legs. She is slightly under weight. The owners feed her Nature's Variety dog food.

Feburary 2009, the urine color changed from the normal dilute yellow to having small amount of blood in it. Her urine sample did show bacteria white blood cells, wbc, and a ph of 7.5. SG = 1.013. She was started on Sulpha antibiotics, and next urine sample was normal.

Recently, her urinary incontinence has worsened while sleeping. She will empty her whole bladder. Owners gave permission for bloodwork and urine. Urine SG = 1.020, Ph = 6.5. Rest of UA negative and urine culture negative. On bloodwork, TCO2 = 25 (17-24) HGB = 18.8 (12-18) T4 = 1.8, all else is normal.

TCM Questions: She only vomits if she drinks too much water in one setting. She seeks out the cold. Two bowel movements a day normal. Urinates five or six times a day. Appetite and attitude are good. The only supplements she is on is apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp, twice a day for three days in a row. Owners read this on the internet and feel it does help her symptoms for about a month and then they have to give it again.

She is a healthy, very active (slightly hyper active) dog in general. At this last visit, owners also mentioned that when she gets very stressed she has head tremors and has started grinding her teeth while sleeping. Also, the urine has a bad smell, again, dispite the urinalysis not showing infection this time around.

Thoughts?
THANKS!
Replies
by naturevet
July 1, 2009
Hi there,

I'm managing to check the site every few days and so will hazard a reply.

The frequent need to urinate coupled with incontinence makes me think it is due to Damp accumulation. Damp Heat would explain the preference for cool and also the vomiting of water after drinking (this is a trade mark symptom of Damp accumulation).

So we might be all set to try Si Miao San, and then we see the tongue. The lavender looking tongue is more typical of San Ren Tang. The purplish hue comes from Damp obstructing descent down the Triple Burner. Classically the most important symptom of this was pollakiuria. Basically the idea is that Water cannot descend fully and easily to the Bladder down the Triple Burner corridor. So it dribbles downward, never accumulating in a decent amount, and always needing to be eliminated. If the Triple Burner were open, then Water would descend freely and in quantity, to be voided once or twice en masse. Another way to think of the situation is that if the descent of Lung Qi and Water is impaired, it is like your finger being over the tip of a straw, resulting in a constant desire to urinate urine that does not quite make it fully into the Bladder. San Ren Tang administration is like lifting your finger off the straw to allow the Water to descend fully and be properly and completely voided, removing the urge.

So that's what I'd try first - San Ren Tang. Hopefully it will help.

All the best,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply