Question Details
Intestinal Spasms
by jjasek - July 1, 2009
I have a case of a 2 year old Standard Poodle with intestinal spasms after eating. Immediately after eating, she attacks her back end, biting at it, for about 30 minutes( I saw the video of it). We have tried numerous diets and are currently on a bland home-made diet. There does not seem to be a difference with different meat proteins, but larger meals and higher protein seems to aggrevate it. I have tried the chamomile/wild yam formula, and it has helped some, but we are still not able to get back to a more normal feeding routine. I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Judy
Replies
by marneemadsen
July 2, 2009
HI Judy,
Not Dr. Marsden here, but thinking there may be some pain from Qi stagnation following eating. I am sure Dr.M will have additional thoughts, but not knowing much else, I might try Xiao Yao San 1/2-3/4 tsp two or three times daily as it is safe but could help. What is color of tongue? What are stools like? Are pulses soft or do they feel like a piano wire under the skin? Those things could help with choosing a formula, but the XYS should be a safe start.

Best,
Marnee Madsen
by naturevet
July 2, 2009
Hi Judy,

The benefits of Wild Yam suggest the problem is due to a smooth muscle spasm in issue after eating. Marnee is right that Xiao Yao San could be a more effective and curative antispasmodic. There are other formulas that regulate peristalsis as well that are worthwhile considerations. The worsening after a big meal suggests in Chinese medicine that the dog's digestion is somewhat weak. A formula that can assist with that and that regulates peristalsis is Wei Ling Tang. You may want to look that one up. Also, another option that is more anti-inflammatory and peristalsis regulating is San Ren Tang. Wei Ling Tang might be my top choice, and I have used it to resolve similar problems in people.

Hope that helps you out!

Steve
by jjasek
July 29, 2009
Hi there,

I tried the Wei Ling Tang in this dog, and the owner reports that she now has burps that smell like 'rotten eggs'. Could this be an effect of the herb?

Judy
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply