Question Details
Vaculitis
by dallasscales - July 5, 2009
Looking for an herb that will help treat vasculitis for a dog. The pads of the feet and ear tips are the primary areas affected. Poor response to Trental, prednisone. Fair response to doxycycline. Healthy otherwise. I'm looking at Qing Ying Tang or Si Wu Tang but cannot decide which. Any recommendations? So far, I'm leaning more towards Qing Ying Tang.

Thank you,
D. Scales
Replies
by bannink
July 6, 2009
Hi, I'll give what suggestions I can with the info at least to offer some starting points for those two formulas. It would be helpful to know what the lesions looked like and what clinical signs in this patient are.

Generally speaking, Qing Ying Tang would be indicated for more severe signs and Si Wu Tang for milder presentations.

Qing Ying Tang cools blood and nourishes Yin. Patients for which it is indicated usually have significant Heat signs. Many have cool limbs and ears with a warm torso, red to purple-red or purple tongue, wiry pulse - may be choppy or irregular (if stasis is present). Skin lesions are usually severe and there might be a history of onset of signs shortly after vaccination.

Si Wu Tang is a Blood tonic. Blood deficiency skin lesions are typically mild - with thin powdery dander, mild itch, dry hair coat, improvement with fatty acid supplementation. Tongue is usually pale, pulse can be thin and weak or thin and wiry (maybe choppy or irregular if blood stasis is present).

If your lesions are severe, Qing Ying Tang is going to be more effective at clearing the pathogen and cooling the blood.

Hope that gives you a place to start.

Erin
by dallasscales
July 7, 2009
Lesions are located primarily at the tips of the pinnae (alopecia and hyperpigmentation), pads of the feet (deep cracking, ulceration), and nails (dry/brittle/malformed). Also forgot to mention that this corgi is on Vit E and omega-3 fatty acids already. Would you feel like Qing Ying Tang is still a good choice? If so, how long can this safely be used?
by naturevet
July 7, 2009
Hi there,

Qing Ying Tang can be used indefinitely if it is well tolerated.

Both options are good, with QYT being especially appropriate for ulceration. I have one other idea, though, and that is Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang, which can resolve inflammation and secondary infection in very peripheral or distal structures such as the ear tips. We've also had good success with it in crumbling, malformed nails, and ones that just fall off. It's also been helpful in pad peeling and cracking.

I'm quite sure one of these three formulas will address things for you. If there is not a lot of redness and exudation, I would even wonder about the BZYQT as being the ideal first choice.

Hope that helps,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply