Question Details
Draining Tract
by Pamela Page - July 6, 2009
Hello,

Last week I was consulted for a 4th opinion on a 5 year old F/S Maltese with a 2 1/2 year history of chronic draining tract. It started out as a lump on her jaw, that was not responsive to antibiotics and steroids. It was surgically explored and found to have bone involvement, biopsy sent out came back as chronic suppurative inflammation with reactive bone. The lump returned and was again surgically explored, and this time the bone was curetted and cauterized with a silver nitrate stick, because the vet thought it might be a bone cyst. A pinpoint, open, draining sore has remained ever since, with an initially purulent, now clear discharge, which dries to form a dark scab over the hole. Bacterial culture and senstivity done at the second surgery was negative, but a subsequent one done on the discharge, was positive for Pseudomonas aeroginosa. A follow-up culture the next month was negative, but she was still on antibiotics. She has been on about 5 different classes of antibiotics, with the last round being zeniquin (fluoroquinolone) followed by azithromycin, for a total of about 3 months. The lesion improves while on antibiotics, then returns. It is currently under the chin, between the mandibles, I cannot palpate any obvious connection to the bone, but suspect either osteomyelitis, a bone sequestrum, or nidus of some kind. The herbal formula that I thought might fit is Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin. Do people think this or another formula could resolve this condition, or is a third exploratory surgery indicated? Dental radiographs were discussed with the clients, but they so far have declined them due to cost. The dog's teeth all look fine externally. She is a sweet dog, not aggressive, tends to be timid, variable appetite, tongue pink, pulses slightly rapid, slightly soft.

Thanks for any input anyone might have!

Pam
Replies
by naturevet
July 7, 2009
I have three other suggestions, Pamela.

Silicea 30C (a homeopathic) has been helpful when given once daily in resolving draining tracts originating from bone.

Hoxsey and Boneset has also resolved draining tracts from bone and is an intramedullary anti-inflammatory. It's a bit better suited to very hot patients, but with the rapid pulse, it's an option.

Lastly, a formula called Bu Yang Huan Wu Tang can ramp up the immune response given its heavy content of Astragalus and its effect of re-ordering the circulation (moving Blood), something that is essential in managing very chronic inflammation.

Hopefully one of those ideas will help.

Steve
by Pamela Page
July 7, 2009
Hello Steve,

Thank you kindly for the reply, especially being on the other side of the world! Would you try one of those items at a time, or use in combination?

Best,
Pam
by naturevet
July 8, 2009
Hi again,

I'd pick one of the formulas and use the Silicea.

Good luck!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply