Question Details
Tongue Evaluation
by landauvet - July 8, 2009
Hello Steve,

I had two questions regarding examination of tongue and pulse.

Firstly, I saw a horse recently whose tongue was trembling and fasciculating all over. It was red, dry and lavender. The pulse was moderately deep and wiry. The horse moved like she hurt all over with a stiff back and HLs. I was thinking the tongue might be a wind sign along with heat and stagnation.

Secondly, I have been feeling many animals, large and small, who have some degree of fremitus with their pulses. I thought that this was possibly a characteristic of a slippery pulse. What do you think?

Best,
Kevin Landau
Replies
by naturevet
July 8, 2009
Hi Kevin,

I agree with you that fremitus, when interpreted from a Chinese medical perspective, best fits with the notion of a 'slippery pulse'.

The quivering tongue is cryptically interpreted in Chinese medicine as the Qi 'not being firm'. Since Qi flow is required for any activity to occur, the differentials would include Qi deficiency, Qi stagnation, or possibly damage from Heat.

The latter two might both be operative here, given the tongue appearance. Something like Xiao Yao San or Jia Wei Xiao Yao San is probably a safe thing to try for this animal.

Another option, though, would be Si Miao San. It fits the purple-red tongue and the possibility of Qi being damaged by Heat. It also fits the presentation of hind end and low back stiffness, the original indications of Si Miao San. You could add Dang Gui to it to get a Blood moving effect.

Those are just some ideas. What points corrected the pulse?

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply