Question Details
Suspected Trigeminal Nerve Sheath Tumor
by paulab - July 8, 2009
Fritz is 11 year old pointer that the local neurologist suspects has a trigeminal nerve sheath tumor. He has severe muscle atropy of the masseter and temporal muscles. His pulse is quite strong and especially so on the left side (almost forceful on that side). Tongue is brown to brick red with no coating. It appears narrow to me. Any herbal (or AP) suggestions appreciated. I have started him on Hoxsey but am not very experienced with the herbs. We are also doing AP. Thanks, paula
Replies
by naturevet
July 9, 2009
Hi Paula,

Is the atrophy bilateral? I take it it isn't if the suspicion is a tumor. If it is bilateral, though, our top recommendation would be Qing Ying Tang (Clear the Nutritive Decoction). In the absence of a definitive diagnosis, we've had good general success in animals with this symptom, pulse and tongue appearance. The formula's action is quite complex biomedically, but from a Chinese medicine perspective moves Blood, clears Heat and rehydrates the Yin (including the musculature). If it's a tumor, the 'blood moving' effects (i.e. potential anti-neoplastic effects) will probably come in handy, at least if nothing else in relieving inflammation secondary to the tumor. It's quite an effective anti-inflammatory without being immune suppressing. More of an immune modulator in its action.

For a pointer, I'd look at 1/2 to 1 tsp of herbs BID.

Hope that helps you out!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply