Question Details
Yi Yi Ren Tang
by mikemesley - July 12, 2009
Mixed bag arthritis case in old Irish setter
long term Hx of sensitive stomach - diarrhoea regularly. Weight loss recently gradual. Recently decreased appetite too. activity reduced, hind limb weakness - including some stumbling - but no neuro signs on exam
- purple tongue,pulse
deep, weak - perhaps a bit wiry, pants constantly (always has), breath has recently become smelly with minimal dental disease, NSAIDs recently for acute elbow lameness helped genrally quite well.
With mixed bag arthritis case and SP def signs - was tending toward YYRT but tongue and pulse are notable NOT typical YYRT indicators. Dog can't stand acupuncture so Dx from that not possible. Has been treated in past (not by me) with Major Bupleurum for GIT issues initially. Unsure of reasoning etc but did seem to help somewhat.
BL 18,20,23 all a bit touchy today. Fine powdery dander noted today for first time.

Any better ideas - feel Blood stasis, SP and Blood deficiencies, maybe KID and LIV yin issues too?
Replies
by naturevet
July 12, 2009
Hi Mike,

While the tongue is not typical, it's not inconsistent, given that stasis is a common picture in YYRT cases. Likewise, the pulse is not inconsistent either, just not the 'dead give away' one we always look for. Given everything else that is going on, I'd give Yi Yi Ren Tang a try.

All the best, and sorry I haven't yet posted the downloadable dissertation on YYRT. I'm finally on the verge of getting clear of a lot of products on my plate and will be looking at that again for you.

All the best,

Steve
by mikemesley
July 12, 2009
Thanks a lot steve. there really is no hurry though.
Thanks again for all your time and help.
Mike
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply