Question Details
Suspect Bony Bi (phlegm) Case
by Lisa - July 12, 2009
Hi! I have a 6 yr MN DMH Feline at 10 pounds 11 ouunces that I've been treating with acupuncture (and recently some additional aqupuncture) + Drynaria herbal med (which now he won't take - even in pill pockets). He's a bit of a short tempered cat but I'm able to work with him. Owner brought case to me because as a kitten stray this cat was HBC and ended up with an ankylosed bilateral carpals (after fracture repairs), bilateral ankylosed elbows, and luxated right hip. Believe it or not, the cat walks fairly well on own, but owner wanted to see if acupuncture would improve things. Well, I've treated him now for over 3 months and have been able to stretch the appointments to every 3 weeks. Per owner is very happy with treatment protocol. I've needled, on varying times pending what the patient tells me, but fairly consistently the following points: GV 20, BL 11, BL12, ST 36, BL 18, LIV 3, SP 9, TH 10, BL 20, ST 40, GB 39, LI 4, LI 15, BL 54, GB 20, BL 40, BL 60, BH. Treating for a Bony Bi (phelgm) at this point.

So, my herbal questions are this: I originally started her on Drynaria since it was in stock and available. But now, the cat won't take pills well and I'm considering my other options. I was wondering about Xiao Chai Hu Tang and possibly adding in Qin Jiao for additional pain relief and OA relief hips and knees (Kan Herb Hips and Knees). Wondering about liquid alternatives for all suggestions only. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks, Lisa
Replies
by naturevet
July 12, 2009
Hi Lisa,

I can see nothing wrong with giving XCHT plus QJ a try. There's a diversity of diagnoses that could be treated by your protocol, so they don't necessarily help me in picking one out. In general, though, cats often have variations on the theme of Damp, Damp Heat, and Blood stasis. One way to tell whether there is Blood stasis is to try the cat on ASA 80mg q 48h for a few treatments. If the cat limbers up, that will suggest a Blood moving approach may help out. So even if the owner is adverse to these drugs long term, it's worth a try. Or have you already gone this route? Drynaria is a Blood mover. Was there a response to it, or did the cat never get it consistently?

One easy thing to try is homeopathic Symphytum, which you can probably find easily enough. I'd recommend the 30C potency given at least once daily. If there is residual pain at the fracture sites, it commonly helps.

Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with trying the XCHT and seeing how it goes.

Not sure if I helped you there, but perhaps others have some better ideas. Good luck!

Steve
by Lisa
July 13, 2009
Steve wrote: "Drynaria is a Blood mover. Was there a response to it, or did the cat never get it consistently?"

Reply: Suspect cat never received it consistently at home.

Maybe I'll try XCHT plus QJ first and see how the cat responses. Dosage suggestions? Do both come in liquid form?

Thanks, Lisa
by naturevet
July 13, 2009
Definitely XCHT comes in a liquid form. The K'an version called Benefit Hips and Knees is a good form to start with in painful patients.

Symphytum would come as homeopathic pellets. If you're in Canada, I can give you a liquid version as well. Otherwise, you can crush the pellets into a powder and sprinkle onto the cat's tongue or in their food. Most done't mind it as it tastes sweet.

Hope that gets you some results!

S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply