Question Details
GI - Vomit/borborygmi/diarrhea/emaciated
by TraceyH - July 13, 2009
Just saw a svery emaciated 2.5 yr old GS Pointer who has a 1 yr history of diarrhea (mucousy, not too smelly ) on all kibbles but Low Fat(including origen). Looks like an EPI dog but not allowed to do bloodwork. Energy is great, can be a bit anxious occasionally. Also has occasional episodes of severe intestinal cramps + borborygmi, burping and vomits. Also burps lots after eating. Pulse = thin, wiry, bit slippery. Tongue = pale but red at tip (only got VERY brief look). Heat at BL 18 through 22, GB 30, 34. Cold feet, heat seeking. I dx him with liver blood def., spleen def. , qi stagnation and liver overacting on stomach. Trying to decide between YGJ, XCHT vs XYS and having a tough time making my decision. Or do I concentrate on supportng spleen first (with WLT?) Any suggestions? Also will have chamomile and wild yam on hand for episodes of painful intestinal spasm.
THanks,
Tracey
Replies
by naturevet
July 13, 2009
Hi Tracey,

Definitely you want a formula that regulates peristalsis and, if EPI is present, has an anti-inflammatory effect. If the tongue tip and behaviour are any indication, then a calming and cooling effect on the Shen (psyche; Heart) is also indicated. This puts me in mind of San Ren Tang.

In addition, I like your idea of Xiao Chai Hu Tang (Minor Bupleurum Combination). I've found that it can exert a powerful 'high level' or overall peristalsis regulating effect that allows formulas with more focus (e.g. WLT, SRT) to work better.

So I'd use the two together and see how that goes for you. I've had similar cases do well.

Good luck!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply