Question Details
FIV Cat
by allpetsvet1 - July 16, 2009
hi Steve, hope all is well with you and Karen. I have just seen a FIV cat that contracted a severe respiratory infection at the shelter 3 weeks ago. The cat has been to several DVM's and is on Azithromycin, baytril, SQF, L-lysine, Famcyclovir, and neopolybac opthalmic. He has improved in the last few days although minimally. He is no longer febrile (temp was at 104-106) I have put him on Dr. Xie's Wei Qi booster which is based on Si Jun Tang and contains Astragalus, Angelica, Condonopsis, Lindera, Citrus, Scutellaria, Oldenlandia, Scrophularia. Is there something else I should be thinking about? something to stimulate appetite (cat hasn't eaten in days)? or dry up ocular and nasal secretions. I did not take him off any previously rx'd meds. Thanks again Steve, Ken Choden
Replies
by naturevet
July 16, 2009
Hi Ken,

Basically you have two main strategies at this point. One is to boost the immune response, which the Wei Qi Booster may due for you. The second is to take an anti-inflammatory approach to dry up the secretions. If they are profuse, I'd probably start there. An Astragalus-based formula like Wei Qi Booster may work against you in that instance, since it revs up the immune and inflammatory responses, which might already be too strong if secretions are profuse. If, on the other hand, they're mild, you can just try the Wei Qi approach first.

If you decide to dry things up, options include Euphrasia (a western herb, also available in homeopathic form) at a dose of 0.2 ml of tincture per 5lbs body weight BID - TID; Cang Er San (Xanthium seed Combination) if the secretions look purulent; or San Ren Tang (Three Seeds Decoction) for a general across the board respiratory epithelium drying and anti-inflammatory effect. You can use the Euphrasia with either of the latter two formulas.

Hopefully this is enough information for you to decide what to do.

Good luck!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply