Question Details
Continuing Education Suggestion?
by perrin - July 16, 2009
Hi,

I have been utilizing the Manual of Natural Veterinary Medicine to treat patients with acupuncture and chinese herbs. I currently make a western med diagnosis and then reference the pardigmatic options under that section. I am seeking ce/training that will help me assess a patients zang-fu/excess or deficiency patterns and treat that imbalance directly without the western diagnosis. Any suggestions?
Replies
by naturevet
July 16, 2009
Greetings!

You're doing exactly what I did to get into holistic medicine, which is basically start simple and slowly immerse myself. What do do next depends on how big a plunge you want to take. If you're ready to really dive into Chinese herbal medicine and get properly certified in it, there's a distance learning course you can take through the International Veterinary Acupuncture Society (IVAS; www.ivas.org). It is THE certification course worldwide for this area and is co-taught by myself and Barbara Fougere, also a well-known herbalist. You'd have your own personal tutor and yet another forum to use to interact with your classmate. To get more information about it, you can email Dr. Barbara Fougere and also the Executive Director of IVAS, Vikki Weber, at the following email addresses:
Barbara Fougere
E-mail Address(es):
barbarafougere@bigpond.com

Vikki Weber
E-mail Address(es):

vikki.weber.mba@ivas.org

If you like the propsect of distance learning, but want to try something shorter and simpler, we are just releasing a short introductory course in Chinese veterinary herbal medicine. There's also a possibility that a live version of this may occur in Seattle this fall. Vikki Weber can tell you more on that.

Lastly, Dr. Mona Boudreaux, also a well-known herbalist, offers an in-person course on an annual basis, currently in Chicago IL. If you want to start there, some of your tuition can be credited toward the certificaiton course later. Mona's course is very popular, in that people stay on-site, eat home-cooked meals, and have lots of casual time with the instructors, so they can ensure they get all their questions answered. To contact Dr. Boudreaux, email her at mabvca@aol.com.

Many graduates from each of the short, certification, and in-person courses use this forum and may weigh in on your question to give you their opinions about the courses. I think in general there is a very high level of satisfaction regardless which way you go.

Good luck in your pursuits. I'm excited to hear of you plans!

Steve

by
July 18, 2009
I too started with the Wynn & Marsden book, after attending CAM lectures by Dr Boudreaux in Reno. It was an awesome book since I could understand the Western and access info that way, and then find out which pattern fit and what formula to use.There's not another book like it. I also found Dr. Xie's red book good from the other direction to learn to make an Eastern dx.
I did an "internship" with an experienced TCVM practitioner, as I really needed hands-on mentorship for tongue and pulse diagnosis. All we did was TCVM-no Western. We had rounds, personal classes so to speak,on the theory and cases. It was an intense year but invaluable.
I am currently enrolled, almost finished with, I think, the IVAS course. It incorporates a lot of theory into pattern differentiation, Zang Fu, etc and by the time you get done you will have a much greater depth of TCVM knowledge.
There is another course taught by the Chi Institute, which has distance learniing modules and classes in FA, including a T&P lab, which emphasizes their formulas, I think. Dr. Xie is one of the best for TCVM, and also has equine classes specifically.
The IVAS course is long and intense, but does not lack from being distance learning and has been well worth it.
Good luck in your journey,
Jodi
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply