Question Details
Complex Derm/Vomiting Case
by perrin - July 16, 2009
Hi,

I have had felt confident in the western/tcm approach on many derm cases in the past. I use the Manual of Nat Vet Med. However, this case is tough for me. Much of the information I have is second hand from the owner and past veterinary experiences.

Bailey is a 9 year-old hound mix. She presented to me for help with lichenification of her perineum. At that time, very few other dermatiological problems were noted.

Bacterial otitis externa is the most significant dermatological problemin her history. It began at 1 year old. Pred and Otomax resolved symtoms temporarily many times. The ears are worse in the Spring and Fall. At that time they are swollen, hyperpigmented, malodorous, and have a moist discharge. She also licks her paws and genitals and reacts to vaccines. The owner had tried Salmon and Sweet Pot and also Kangaroo and Oats trials with unclear results.

In 2005 her adventure with a vet school began. She was seen for her ears. They put her on all the anti's (bacterial, fungal, inflammtory) and she looked better. Soon thereafter a CAT scan was performed to image her middle ears. A TECA was considered. However, her stomach bloated and turned after the anesthesia and she had a gastropexy. Then, after that surgery, her esophagus ulcerated and eventually strictured. She had a peg tube and difficult time living for several months. Eventually, the owners were able to keep her at a BCS of 2/9 with a gruel feeding. The regurge of slimy clear liquid is worse now. It is a major player for the dog and owner again. She seems to hold food down, but vomits water. The owner keeps explaining that it is like a mucous plug needs to be vomited, then she can hold water down after that. She sounds phlegmy and raspy in her pharyngeal region now. Her pulse is rapid, floating and forceful in my best assessment. Her tongue is a pale lavendar with maybe a slight whitish coating.

I finally assesed her as having damp heat secondary to a spleen deficiency and just began treatment with modified long dan xie gan tang and sp9, cv3, bl25, gb41, gv14, li11, and liv13.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. I am happy to pay a consultation fee.

Thanks in advance.

Perrin Heartway, DVM
Replies
by naturevet
July 16, 2009
Hi Perrin,

Wow! You're taking on some tough cases for someone who's just getting rolling.

In general, I think your read on the situation is accurate - you're dealing with a Damp Heat/Phlegm issue. LDXGT is strong in this department and may well work for you. There is a formula that is more specifically appropriate to dysphagia, however, and that is something called Bao He Wan (Preserve Harmony Combination; Citrus and Crataegus Combination). If that's the main concern right now, and the perineum and ears are somewhat under control, perhaps Bao He Wan is a better choice. It deals with something called Food Stasis in Chinese medicine, and is an anti-Phlegm Heat-clearing preparation. I'm sure it has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that might help the ears and perineum, but its focus is definitely the esophagus and stomach. Even in megaesophagus dogs, it goes well.

I have one more suggestion for you, also in the Heat-clearing vein, and that is something called Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang. In a limited number of skin cases, it has performed spectacularly well. In addition, it helps open the Triple Burner, which is not something we discuss too much in the Manual of Natural Veterinary Medicine, but which you can imagine to be a corridor running along the body's longitudinal axis, through which all other things (food, water, air) flow in their own separate tubes (stomach, urinary tract, trachea). When one of these subordinate tubes, if you will, has an issue (such as an episode of GDV), then it implies the overall regulatory function of the TB is at fault. CHJLGMLT corrects this, and so fits the internal issues as well as the skin.

I'm pretty sure one of these two approaches will work, but you may also see some benefits from the LDXGT. If the owner has that in hand right now, there's probably no harm in seeing how it works for now, with these two other formulas (one or both) waiting in the wings in case they're needed.

I hope that helps you out. Again, a tough case. It sounds like you've learned a lot just from the Manual. I'm impressed at what you're tackling.

All the best,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply