Question Details
Head Rubbing, Wei Syndrome In GSD
by rmtran - July 23, 2009
Hi Steve,

I have 14 years old MC German Shepherd with Wei Syndrome.

He has been on several herbal formula, recent ones include Bu Yang Huang Wu and Zhi Bai Di Huang.

He has been rubbing his head on blankets, cushions, agains on human most of his life (especally when wet from rain or bath), but it seems that it is more pronounced as he gets older. Does this mean anything?

He also started to have more incidence of fecal incontinence. His tongue is reddish pink, his pulse is slightly weak on right, somewhat wiry and slightly deep.

The draining of BL-40, and stimulation of GB-24/34, or LIV-13 soften the pulse but make it deeper. The tonification of BL-40 brings his pulse to the surface, but the wiry part does not go away.

It is confusing. Any suggestions?

Thank you and see you soon,

Rieko
Replies
by naturevet
July 23, 2009
Hi Rieko,

How have his musculoskeletal symptoms faired? Is he any stronger?

Itching of the head when wet suggests possibly Damp Heat from a Chinese point of view, but I would imagine it could also be happening without necessarily the animal being inflammed.

I'm wondering if the dog has Spleen Qi sinking. We see this creating fecal incontinence in older animals, and it is a Wei or weakness formula. It's also used for headaches that feel better with pressure or rubbing on the head, and is associated with a deep wiry pulse. Essentially the formula decongests the caudal abdomen, improves peripheral circulation and improves cognition. So it seems broadly appropriate here.

See you soon,

Steve
by rmtran
July 23, 2009
Thanks, Steve.

Well, he does not seem to be that much stronger with the formulas. May be I need to needle him more often (he has not gotten as much as he deserves). he is extremely stiff when he first gets up. He gets very weak after extra movements (like he is at my work and moving around more with other dogs).

He is my last GSD, and I just want to help him as much as possible.

Best Regards,

Rieko

by mikemesley
December 13, 2009
Steve,

Did you mean to try this dog on BZYQT for SP Qi sinking?
Rieko, did you try this formula - or did you mean the ZBDHW and BYHWT hadn't helped much?

Just interested!

Mike
by naturevet
December 14, 2009
Hi Mike,

BZYQT is also a major formula for Wei syndrome due to Qi deficiency. One common example of its use is in the treatment of myasthenia gravis, and cases that behave similarly (progressive weakness with increased activity).

Steve
by rmtran
June 13, 2010
Hi Steve,

My dog had a vestibular syndrome for the past couple of days. He started to drink a little more prior to the episode and he had nystagmus (rotational, fast phase to the left) with a mild head tilt (to the right).

His tongue has been reddish pink, and his pulse was wiry and deep.
His nose felt warm in touch, and it has been discolored gradually and there are some pink spots in the middle. His ears were cool, but his toes felt somewhat warm.

I did acupuncture and gave 12.5 mg Meclidine q24hr x 2 days; he vomited once and slept well and he appears to be better today.

His appetite has been down for the past three days.

His pulse is thin, wiry and choppy. I cannot tell if they are active points, but medial aspect of stifles and elbows feel warmer. SP-9 (drain) might change pulse some, but BL-20 (tonify) improved his pulse a little for sure.

Would you recommend any change in herbal formula? He has been on Rehmannia Eight combo for the past few months.

He is recumbent (unable to stand up by himself any longer), but he never leaks urine while he is asleep. He only defecates when I am late for taking him out or deep in sleep, but it is not any worse. He appears to know when and tell me (whine) if he needs to go. He is very arthritic on front legs, and he has minimum motor function on hind limbs now (sensory function has gone long ago).

I have not tried BZYQT for him yet. Do you have another recommendation for him based on recent episode?

Thank you always,

Rieko

by naturevet
June 13, 2010
Hi Rieko,

This is the time of year when we'll see Damp pathologies cropping up. Damp is a cause of vestibular syndrome, so it doesn't surprise me at all to see you finding BL 20 and SP 9 of benefit, given their role in promoting Spleen health and draining Damp. Our main formula for Damp causing vestibular syndrome is Ban Xia Bai Zhu Tian Ma Tang. It's especially appropriate if he has been doing well on the Rehmannia 8 for his Wei syndrome, since a response to the latter confirms a general Qi deficiency, which BXBZTMT treats as well.

So that's the first thing I'd try based on this most recent data. Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes!

Steve
by rmtran
August 29, 2010
Update:
He recovered from Vestibular syndrome completely in 6 weeks or so. He is back on BWDH, but I am about to change it to ZBDH based on his change.

He is totally paralyzed at this point. So...I got him a four wheeled cart. He cannot pull himself that well due to forelimb arthritis, but he does not mind it. He went for a half mile walk in it for the first time today; he is sound sleep now.

Now we can finally enjoy some sun.

Rieko

by rmtran
August 29, 2010
Addendum:
I have not forgotten about YYRT for him; however, he seems to calm down better using some Yin tonics. I would continue acupuncture for his forelimbs.

-R.
by rmtran
October 23, 2010
Hi Steve,

I need your help again.

He has been very aggitated for the past month or so; he no longer likes to lie on his bed, and he spins around with his neck/head whipping, until his lip starts to bleed. He chews stuff that he can have access. He almost always wakes up early morning (btw 12:30a-3:30a) and whines and howles even if I take him out for potty, pet him, or massage him. He is increasing refusing to stay lying down, and he rather stay standing in his cart, even hours. He still loves to ride car with me (lies quietly in the back of miniban).

His tongue has been red, and his pulse is superficial and strong. At times, it feels wiry. His breath has stronger smell. He has this odd dermatitis along with his left jagular groove where clumps of hair came off with scab and follicular plugs in linear fashion (almost along ST or LI meridian) and it is bald now. I feel heat radiation there.
He also have frequent belching, borborigmi, and gas (often offensive). His appetite seems increased but loosing weight gradually. His stool is slightly soft.
(this happened when I started high dose of TMGTY).

I think that he has KID Yin Deficiency with False Heat, and Heart Fire as a result. And ST heat??

I tried APR Nourishing (ZBDH) with not much changes except for less offensive odor of mouth.

Now he is on high dose f Calm Response (TMGTY), but not much difference in his behavior. I added Eucommia and Rheumannia, but it seems to make him Damp (increased ear wax and looser stool) so I took him off of it.

I got Chamomile and Wild Yam for his GI issue; not yet started.

I thought of Jia Wei Xiao Yao San or CHJLGMLT, but neighter of them had Yin tonifying effect that I look for.

As you may see, I am at a loss.

Thank you for your advise!

Rieko
by rmtran
October 25, 2010
After the full moon (it was 10/23), he struggle to go to bed but eventually went to sleep and did not wake up in the middle of night (first time in a long time).

I was thinking if Er Xiang Tang might be in use for him. It seems to fit most of the symptom, except GI issue.

If it still does not address his GI issue, can it be combined with Chamomile and Wild Yam formula? I usually use a dose of two of loperamide to calm his gut for comfort.

Thanks,

Rieko
by naturevet
October 26, 2010
Hi Rieko,

I like your idea of using Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang.

It fits paralysis, vestibular syndrome, the nocturnal agitation, and the pulse. It descends Yang toward Yin, and that in itself can be tonifying to the Qi. I also kept the Ginseng in ours, to help with that. We can always use a Qi tonic in addition, like LJZT.

Otherwise, I'm thinking of Si Miao San. If an animal has GI signs from a formula for Yin deficiency seizures, then that usually means Damp. The GI signs fit Damp Heat, and so can paralysis. The pulse also fits. I have used it for vestibular syndrome in some dogs, too. The time of aggravation is not as good a fit as for CHJLGMLT, which is probably more frequently helpful.

If in doubt, you could use a bit of both.

That's what I'd try at this point.

Hope that helps,

Steve
by rmtran
October 26, 2010
Thanks, Steve. I will try them.

Rieko
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply