Question Details
Homeopathic Dilutions Of Herbal Formulas
by sherebrin - July 23, 2009
I came across a reference to using chinese herbals at homeopathic dilutions for those pets that will not take herbs well orally, and I want to know the details on this. In particular, I am thinking of a patient of mine who has a large mid-abdominal mass, diagnosed on ultrasound as likely adenocarcinoma at the ileocecocolic junction. He did the "poison froth" hypersalivation when given Liu Jun Zi Tang (glycerite- Kan Essentials) for anorexia (he had eaten it mixed in food previously). Now I want to start him on Mod. Xue Fu Zhu Yu but the kitty is not eating well to begin with, so putting it into food is not a good idea. I suggested diluting it in hot water and cooling, then mixing with something yummy and dosing him- she will try this in the meantime. We know that we are likely in palliative care/hospice territory, but if we can move qi and blood I think the cat will feel better.
Regards,
Rona Sherebrin
Replies
by naturevet
July 23, 2009
Hi Rona,

I never have as much faith in potentized formulas as regular ones in cancer cases, but for getting things started, they may help. I think the advice you gave the owner above is just as good if not better an approach. But, just so you know:
We take about a ml of herbal formula tincture and dilute it in 50 ml of spring water.
Then we succuss the formula by essentially bouncing the bottom off a resilient surface (a phone book works well) about a couple of hundred times.
The resultant blend should now be refrigerated, and succussed a further ten to fifteen times off the palm of the owners hand or a phone book before actually drawing the dose up to use it.
I would advise 0.5 ml TID. It can also be given in water and the cat's water replenished several times a day, if the cat is a good drinker. It even works in food (e.g. tuna juice).
The preparation will lose its power after a few weeks and need to be replenished.
While we use this approach with tinctures, Dr. Pamela Bouchard reports that the technique also works when you dissove a tsp or so of granular extracts in spring water and then succuss it. It won't entirely dissolve, but she feels the preparation still works well.

Good luck with your kitty!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply