Question Details
Osteosarcoma
by holisticpetdr - July 25, 2009
Hi Steve!
Ebony is a dog that has an osteosarcoma in the distal radius. She is not weight bearing on the leg but looks great w/ regard to all other parameters (appetite, attitude, and lungs). A soft fluctuant enlargement has developed over the last 2 days and it feels as if it will rupture. The leg is not exceptionally painful to pressure and manipulation, and it does not feel fractured by manipulation. It has received the cancer treatment outlined by you ( Hoxsey w/ Bonset, Vit A/D etc) for the past 4 months as you outlined in one of your earlier cancer lectures. I remenber that you said the dog in your case study abscessed at the cancer site and went on to do very well. Although I have had good results w/ your treatment protocol for a number of years, this is the first time I had one that appears to be abscessing as described in the lecture. My Western mind says it is the end ( I am sure we have an osteolytic situation radiographically), but I wonder if you think I should continue and manage the situation hoping for a successful outcome.
Thanks
Dave
Replies
by naturevet
July 26, 2009
Hi Dave,

Nice to hear from you. I don't think there is any problem in at least seeing what happens after you establish a draining tract. I'd try to encourage that naturally - warm applications to the region and/or use of homeopathic Silicea. In the cases I'm thinking of, the lameness significantly improved once drainage occurred. You could at least get things to that point and see what the impact is. If the animal was less lame, then you'd know to persevere even further. You could even do a final needle aspirate to see what you get. The more it looks purulent (even if not septic), the more I'd try to follow through. If it turns out on cytology to be nothing but blood, then I'm not sure the pain will improve, or even if rupturing it is a great idea. I've never seen the latter, however, only the former.

Hope there's some good advice in there somewhere. I referred a patient and vet to you the other day. Can't remember who, but they may mention it if they show.

Cheers,

Steve
by naturevet
July 26, 2009
What am I, drunk? I meant 'fine needle aspirate'. 'Final' needle aspirate sounds like a post-mortem, or some twisted form of euthanasia...
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply