Question Details
Mast Cell Tumor
by Peggy Lewis - July 26, 2009
i have a 12 yr. old Maltese that we have been treating w/ a cutaneous mast cell tumor (sx removed about a yr. ago). It has recurred and has some swelling around it. I have started her on Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang and read that you can give Querticin to decrease the swelling--I have not been able to find it and wonder if you have suggestions.
Replies
by naturevet
July 26, 2009
Quercetin is easily available at most healthfood stores, although it may be mixed with other products. It will most likely be in the antihistamine section of those kinds of stores. Use the strongest version you can find, and if it's mixed with vitamin C or something, that should be okay - use it anyway.

Homeopathic Apis 30C will help some of these edematous cases as well. Try 3 to 5 pellets TID for a few days until the edema goes down.

Steve
by bannink
August 6, 2009
Peggy,

I have also had success with Albezia Complex (Standard Process/Medi-Herb) for anti-histamine effects.

Also, if you are having trouble controlling recurrence or swelling I have found it makes a significant difference to have E Zhu and San Leng added to the Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang, so be sure you are giving the modified formula (I usually put 15 grams of each with 100 grams of base formula - or you can order it already modified). I am generous with the dosing of herbs in these cases. And when using strong blood movers chronically, keep an eye out for the development of blood deficiency.

Might I also suggest a healthy dose of Milk Thistle (20mg/lb/d) for its antioxidant and hepatoprotective properties. There is also some evidence of pro-apoptotic activity.

You should also assume you have GI ulceration even if there are no overt signs yet (~85% rate of GI ulceration in dogs with mast cell tumors even in asymptomatic patients). I recommend L-glutamine for all patients with bulky mast cell disease. L-Glutamine was shown in one human study to be as effective as carafate at resolving GI ulcerations. Also, consider Prilosec or pepcid, +/- carafate if needed.

Good luck!

Erin
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply