Question Details
K-9 Calcium Oxalate Stones
by Peggy Lewis - July 26, 2009
i am treating a 7 yr. old west Highland for Ca oxalate stones -- she's had problems w/ them for 5 yrs. Had sx 1-2x. I started her on San Ren Tang about 6 mo. ago-- X-rayed her 2x in that time and have seen no change in the stones. Dog is on Royal Canine UR SO food (but not consistently). Do you have suggestions? Thanks alot.
Replies
by naturevet
July 26, 2009
Hi Peggy,

From our perspective, the processed diets are a bit part of what is actually generating the stones. We have consistent success with San Ren Tang and Dang Gui Shao Yao San (depending on the case), but ONLY when the dog has been put on a raw or home-cooked grain-free diet.

So that's the first step, followed by use of the appropriate formula to match the dog's presentation, and choosing from Wei Ling Tang, San Ren Tang, or Dang Gui Shao Yao San.

The final thing we do to kick start stone dissolution sometimes is use potassium citrate orally as a supplement. It only seems to work consistently once the diet has been changed.

Regarding diets, I don't believe the answer is in protein restriction. This is a useful strategy when dealing with a species that demonstrates leeching of calcium from bone in response to high protein diets - namely, humans. This is one of the reasons why North Americans have such a high incidence of osteoporosis, despite having one of the highest calcium intakes in the world - the very high levels of protein in the North American diet. Dogs and cats don't get osteoporosis despite their carnivorous diets, which should be a big clue to us that the protein restriction strategy in calcium oxalate stones in these species is not likely to work. Meanwhile, the processed nature of the diets seems to be provoking a low level of renal inflammation that creates organic nidi around which crystals can accrete. The evidence for this is indirect and growing. So a non-processed diet undermines this process, assisted by the herbal formulas. If the diet is not changed to a non-processed diet, then the herbs alone are not strong enough to stop this seeding of the urine with organic debris. That's the theory anyway. The end result is continual reformation of new stones to replace any that are wearing down due to changes in solubility product and mechanical breakdown. Essentially, my theory is that when you re-xray the dog, you arent' seeing the same old stones. You're actually seeing brand new ones, with the body in an equilibrium at which new stones are steadily being formed as old ones are broken down or worn away. Changing the diet and using the herbs doesn't break the stones down, but shifts the equilibrium, so that the existing stones solubilize but are not reformed as fast.

So hopefully the entire protocol, when put into play, will work for you. Otherwise, Dr. Mona Boudreaux has an anti-lithic formula that she feels will break the stones down. I've never found it necessary to go in that direction, but perhaps you may have to. She'll know which one I'm referring to when you contact her. Her email is:
mabvca@aol.com

Good luck!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply