Question Details
Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca
by Nate Heilman - July 27, 2009
Hello all,

I've been treating a 4 YO FS Cavalier King Charles Spaniel for KCS for the past two years with modest results. the dog routinely scores nil on STT. It previously had no response to Optimmune from a conventional practitioner.

Precluding the use of unmitigated Yin tonics are a smattering of Damp Heat issues that one might expect from this breed; tendency towards ear inflammation and yeast infections, some vomiting, anal sacculitis, some scooting, and the occaasional Wind Damp invasion of the Tai Yang surfaces leading to intermittent forelimb and back pain.

To accommodate the complex nature of the case, I developed an equally complex treatment regimen that, fortunately, the owner is able to carry out, by virtue of working from home. We use Ming Mu Di Huang Wan in the AM for the dry eyes (modified to clear Heat with the addition of Huang Bai, Zhi Mu, Sheng Ma, and Ge Gen), and Si Miao San at night (to address Dampness and Heat). So far it's been modestly successful - the owner still must apply artificial tears to the eyes, but only twice daily. We had used XCHT midday for a time, upon Steve's suggestion that there was triple burner obstruction trapping Heat upstairs, and I feel that he was right on that one. But the last few rechecks have indicated more of a Damp Heat pathology than anything else; BL 25, SP 9, GB 34, with a superficial, rapid pulse.

The dog was transitioned to a raw food diet this past spring, which trimmed it down significantly, and helps to manage much of the Damp Heat (the ear inflammation is resolved, but anal sacculitis flared two months ago).

Any wisdom imparted would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate
Replies
by naturevet
July 29, 2009
Hey Nate,

Glad to see you here! I have two ideas for your dog.

(1) If there are other dryness symptoms appearing besides the eyes, and if the Damp Heat signs are abating, then maybe some greater moisturization or Yin tonification is called for. Adding Dang Gui to SMS could help that. However, if you're still using MMDHW, that may not accomplish much, given the Yin tonics it already contains. Hence the second idea,

(2) Some more specific herbs to both clear additional Heat from the eyes and Damp Heat from the body. Che Qian Zi (Plantago) could be added here to accomplish that, maybe 25g per 100g of SMS granules.

I think I had a third idea, but it left me. I'll get back to you...oh, here it is back again. Two of them, actually:

(3) You could add a little LDXGT to the mix. It definitely clears Heat from the eyes, but may actually promote dryness as well, so

(4) consider instead Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang. It does what XCHT does, but is more aggressively cooling, and can help drain Damp to boot. If XCHT really did help, and you weren't just being polite, you could consider ramping up to CHJLGMLT and seeing what it contributes. That, or the use of Che Qian Zi, would be my top two recommendations.

Good luck whatever you do. Looking forward to more humerous Nate-style prose!

S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply