Question Details
Epilepsy In Dog
by doris - July 30, 2009
Hi Steve,
I have an 8 year old male entired chihuahua with idiopathic epilepsy since young. Initially the seizure was only noticed in winter time but then slowly progressed to all year round. The dog was put on phenobarb since Jan 2006. The problem was not well controlled and the dog started to have status epilepticus in Dec 2006. It was then put on phenobarb , neurontin, KBr an dliver supplements and only mild seizure was noticed intermittently for another year.

From Nov 2007, the dog had 3 episodes of Status epilepticus, once monthly, that could only be resolved with IV phenobarb and propofol. After each episode, the dog had very poor recovery that it was very drowsy and sedated for at least a week. I then treat it with weekly acupuncture from Jan 2008. The dog showed satisfactory response and no more status epilepticus was noticed since. Only mild seizure was seen once monthly. The dog is much brighter and lively now.

Although the problem is well controlled at this stage, the owner is hoping to put it on chinese herbal medicine and see if it is possible to wean it off western medicine.

Here are some physical findings of this dog:
always sleepy, like to stay in cool environment, drinks water well and has good appetite.the dog is slightly overweight. The hair coat was dull and dry before having acupuncture but now is soft and glossy.

Tongue: slighlty lavender and dry
Pulse
Left side: deep and weak
Right side: forceful and slippery

My TCM diagnosis was Internal Wind invasion of the Liver with Blood Stasis.

The acupuncture points that I 've used are: LI 4, SP 6, LIV 3, KI 3, KI 6,GB 20 GV 16 GV 20 BL 17 BL 18.

My question is which formular is a better choice for this dog? "Ban xia Bai Zhu Tian Ma Tang" or "Long Dan Xie Gan Tang"?

Thanks very much for your advice.
Best Regards,
Doris

Replies
by naturevet
November 30, -0001
Hi Doris,

The initial onset in winter or early spring points to a possible Liver origin to the problem. The dryness of the tongue is common in Liver Wind cases. The formula for this, Tian Ma Gou Teng Yin (Gastrodia and Uncaria Combination), is well tolerated even if the diagnosis is not correct. The worst case scenario is merely that the dog does not respond. Dampness cases are the ones that receive BXBZTMT. LDXGT is used for more severe clusters, although you could try it here given the severity of the seizures when they do occur. But given the tonifying points that have helped the dog so far, and the coat dryness symptoms that have been resolved, it makes sense to try the TMGTY first.

Let us know how it goes!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply