Question Details
Grayhound With HL Weakness And Pain
by landauvet - July 31, 2009
Hi Steve,

I have been treating a 12 year old FS Grayhound for HL weakness for the last year. She has some mild to moderate azotemia (BUN 50, CR 2.9)
Her main complaint has been a progressively worsenning HL weakness, reluctance to go up stairs, and now, difficulty standing straight. She tends to partially crouch in her HLs when not in motion. I am suspicious of lumbar degeneration and back pain. She is prone to diarrhea and has stinky farts. She is hot and panty. Good body condition. She got painful with sacropelvic adjusting even with mild adjustment pressure. She trembles and vibrates in the exam room and sometimes at home.
Tongue has been consistently red, lavender and pasty coat. Pulses have varied from thin and wiry to thin and slippery. She consistently has been on BWDHW with some help initially to HL strength, but her strength seems to be giving out. Last month, with active GB points, I started her on XCHT with no imptovement.

I prescribed Jia Wei Xioa Yao San yesterday, although I was not all that confident. I was also considering DHJST, but the damp heat to her GI made me concerned that the DHJST was not addressing this area enough. Right now her main problem is the weak and painful hind end.
I could not get much from acupoint diagnosis and acupunctured BH, Shen Shu, Shen Jiao. Bl 54, St 36 Sp 6. Pulse did not change much but her vibrating made pulse diagnosis difficult and she would not lay down for me.

What advice can you give?
Kevin Landau
Replies
by naturevet
July 31, 2009
Hi Kevin,

I think of San Ren Tang, and perhaps used with SMS, when there is Damp Heat presenting as severe low back pain with associated weakness, and renal azotemia. If you use more SRT than SMS, you should have a decent renal decongesting effect while addressing low back pain.

The other option is to try ZBDHW if the Rehmannia 8 has been very helpful, but the dog now has colitis. Given the severe pain, however, I'm inclined to stop the BWDHW, or at least reduce it, and roll in the SRT and SMS.

SMS was originally developed in part to treat severe low back pain. SRT is very good at lumbo-sacral disks.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply