Question Details
Psychogenic Alopecia
by Nate Heilman - August 2, 2009
Hello All,

I have a cat that could use some help. I have been treating a 7 YO MN cat for psychogenic alopecia for 16 months (zoiks!). It's been a struggle. I'll make a long story slightly shorter.

The problem began in the spring of 2008. The cat presented with a slightly dry hair coat, thinning noted on the flanks, outsides and insides of hind limbs and forelimbs. TCM wise, this cat has an awful looking tongue; lavender, gnarled in shape, with a wrinkled edge and a plump center. The pulse is pretty average as far as I can tell, and active points have varied to include BL 18, BL 22, but consistently BL 20 and SP 6. I have tried the following formulas;

Yi Guan Jian
Xiao Chai Hu Jia Yu Jin Tang

Things got worse so it was on to the Spleen;

Chu Shi Wei Ling Tang

Good improvement for a time, but then more itching in late summer, so onto

Si Miao San

Recheck in the fall, with dryness returning and it was back to CSWLT.

The cat has waxed and waned, and never been severely pruritic, or even severely alopeciec. But continued use of herbs hasn't gotten his tongue or coat much better.

The latest (Rx suggested by another vet) was to use two depomedrol injections in sequence to break the cycle. I began San Ren Tang to address some Heart Fire. To no (long standing) avail.

The cat had been eating Wellness canned food, Orijen Dry, and some raw rabbit patties. The owner dropped out the Orijen dry this spring, with a good effect initially, then no gain.

My questions are as follows:

1) Has anyone had good success using XFZYT in cases such as this?

2) Steve, do you find any homeopathic remedies effective here? Is the psychogenic alopecia formula indicated here?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Part of me thinks that I should just keep working away at the Spleen and give it 3 -5 years.

Thanks and sorry about the rambling,

Nate
Replies
by naturevet
August 3, 2009
Hi Nate,

The psychogenic itch formula is certainly an option. I've been surprised how well Qing Ying Tang has been working for my most itchy cats, even when they have previously responded to Spleen formulas. At the risk of complicating things, I'd be tempted to give it a try given that nasty tongue. It has the hydrating moving effects you're looking for in XFZYT anyway. It also cools Heart Fire, which has got to stand for having a calming influence. Naturally avoid vaccination. I assume you've looked for any infectious organism behind the problem via skin scrapings, fungal cultures, etc. Before I went with back to back depo-medrol, I'd probably try a skin biopsy if the owner is up for it. But right now QYT is my top suggestion.

Hope that helps in some way,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply