Question Details
Mammarycarcinoma In Cats
by landauvet - August 3, 2009
Hi Steve,
I am treating a 12 year old FS cat for a non-ulcerated mammary carcinoma. She had surgery to remove a mammary carcinoma 2 years ago at a different loction. Surgery was discouraged by primary doc this time due to an elevated BUN an creatinine. I have the cat on BWDHW and Feline Renal Support(SP).
The cat is otherwise extremely happy and healthy, good appetite, and no problems. Is there a particular formula with a reputation for mammary tumors?
Kevin Landau
Replies
by naturevet
August 3, 2009
Hi Kevin,

Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin (Angelica and Mastic) seems to have an affinity for the Stomach channel, which runs through the entire mammary region. I've used it successfully in women with breast cancer to enhance post-op healing and eliminate associated symptoms of the tumor. All have also gotten conventional care, so I can't say what it will do for an actual mass, but if this cat is not currently suffering, it should work well preventively. The formula certainly has numerous anti-cancer mechanisms it invokes, from a variety of different herbs.

Steve
by landauvet
September 7, 2009
Hi Steve,

I have had this cat on XFHMY for the last month. The owners did not want to do surgery and the mammary tumor broke open and was bleeding. I started using bloodroot salve (Buck Mt. Botanicals). I just did my third application and the tumor seems to be responding, although slowly.
It seems like the tumor is a damp heat tumor and the bloodroot is inflammatory to the tumor. The cats belly is warm and the mass looks very inflamed. The cat seems comfortable, however, and seems to tolerate things very well.
I was considering adding SMS to treatment plan for its anticancer and anti-inflammatory properties. I was unsure how that would effect the treatments with bloodroot. Any thoughts?

Kevin Landau
by naturevet
September 7, 2009
It should be fine to use SMS as well. It won't interfere.

Bloodroot treated lesions always look raw. Apply it periodically until essentially the entire tumor has turned into a scab. Then allow the scab (and tumor) to slough off. The wound beneath should look reasonably healthy. Allow to heal by second intention.

Good luck!

Steve
by jschell
March 1, 2016
Hello Kevin, How is your patient doing - with the mammary tumor? I have a patient with the same disease.
Thank you!
Julie
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply