Question Details
Old Dog
by mikemesley - August 3, 2009
Dog with Kid deficiency and empty heat - notably harrassing HT and PC (I've never seen such pronounced PC "pathology" from TCM perspective)
It's been on Yi Guan Jian which has been great as a tonic, but recently we have seen uneasiness in evenings (mostly around 9pm), a bout of slight loose stools, some cognitive dysfunction, recently began to scoot - ie maybe anal glands an issue. Feel we are tonifying well but not fully clearing the empty heat.
Main features we want from herbs = tonification esp of KId and probably LIV yin, as well as empty heat clearing. Main symptoms being the weakness hind limbs, cognitive changes, night time restlessness and maybe slight damp signs of anal glands and diarrhoea.
Automatically thought ZBDHW, but might something like 7 treasures be more useful?

Tonify BL 40 was the point to chose - PC6 also helped.
Replies
by naturevet
August 3, 2009
ZBDHW is definitely more cooling and able to deal with Empty Fire.

One other thought - the Shao Yang, which is attacked by Fire, reaches high tide beginning 9 pm. In this case, though, I'd expect active GB points. If they materialize, then Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang is a better choice.

S
by mikemesley
December 13, 2009
Hi Steve,

have had this dog on ZBDHW for past months since I posted. He went exceptionally well - really settled down, activity improved, appetite etc great.

Recently had fairly acute onset of vomiting in relationship to herbs - here is what I wrote in the Hx.

Presenting Complaint: Vomiting on ZBDHW - in combo with meals which O reports were cold food - normally heats them up.

Pulse Dx: Deep, weak, a little wiry.

Tongue: Purple centrally, pink sides.

AEPs and Alarm Points: None found

Points Chosen: KID3 made most difference. Bl23 less so. No TB or GB points active - notably reducing GB34 = no difference.

TCM Assessment:
Feel most likely still Kid and Liv Yin Def - has had success with YGJ in past and still have some at home. Head back in this direction - if not being very succesful then perhaps needs some more KID Yang tonification - BWDHW would be my other choice.

Presume cooling ZBDHW has done its job of reducing anxiety and heat intolerance. Cold food exacerbated this and was too cold for the stomach -> vomiting.

Over past week or so back on YGJ has been a bit lethargic - O stopped this and went back onto ZBDHW at 1/2 dose. No further vomiting and activity level etc have been better.

Seems like we are really needing to fine tune this one. What do you think about my BWDHW call?

Also thought this could sort of be counted amongst your success stories. Also their other dog has "changed completely" on her XYS from fear aggressive and storm phobic to relaxed and happy little friend. so another success there.

Thanks
Mike
by naturevet
December 14, 2009
Hi Mike,

Your idea of using BWDHW seems to offer the best of all worlds - a warming effect on the Spleen, a non-Dampening effect, yet continued support of Blood and Yin. I'd maybe give it a try.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply