Question Details
Metacam And Herbs
by LJH - August 4, 2009
Dear Dr. Marsden,
I had emailed you before about a now 13yr F(S) Border Collie with hindend
stiffness/lameness that had been doing well on Xian Fang Huo MIng Yin and Si Wu Tang until a couple of months ago when she developed RF lameness as well. Chiropactic didn't help. Repeated x-rays showed further spondylosis and some DJD. Have tried Wobenzym and a couple of homeopathics with no improvement. The owner would like to try a trial on Metacam to see if it helps at all. Bloodwork showed a very slight elevation of Alk Phos and ALT so will need extra monitoring. My question is can we keep her on the XFHMY and Si Wu while on the Metacam or is there any safety concerns/drug interactions. I hate to stop the herbs as her pulse is improved but still a bit thin weak and slightly wiry. Tongue a bit pale.Thanks for any comments you may have.
Llewanda
Replies
by naturevet
August 4, 2009
Hi there,

There should be no problem mixing the herbs and the metacam. If there is a pronounced benefit, then we know we need another blood moving formula to resolve the dog's pain - maybe Shen Tong Zhu Yu Tang, especially if the metacam works and BL 40 is active (improves the pulse with sedation). Watch for that.

All the best,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply