Question Details
Old GDS
by cchcs21 - August 4, 2009
Hello - need some help with this old dog. He is an eight year old german shepard M/N who appears to be much older (very geratric gait, stance, etc).

His owners main concern is the chronic arthritis pain in the RF elbow from an un-united ancolneal process (surgery was performed but failed as 1 year old). Her second concern is the hip dysplasia which was diagnosed about one year ago.

His symptoms:
Abnormal gait - limping RF leg, down in the hocks in hindend, toes out RF leg.

RF elbow intermittenly swells (medial and laterally both)

Chronic severe KSC with gray to green mucoid constant discharge.

Seeks the cold concrete on which to lay.

History of EPI but digestive enzymes and SP Hepatic and Enteric Supports have allieviated the intermitten diarrhea with this.

He pants a lot and is quite warm to the touch.

His pain lessens during exercise but he tires quite easily. His hindend is quite weak and he is ataxic often.

He has a yellow color to the stool on occassion but otherwise the BM's are good. But, he does have a BM 4-5 times a day.

He does have increased thirst and appetite now, since being on pred. (ER vet started him on this).

HIs diet is all natural. Instinct canned and dry.

Supplements/Meds:
Pred 20 mg 1 BID
Hepatic and Enteric Support
Joint care support (glucoseamine)

ALso, he is a light sleeper with excessive dreams when sleeping. He moves about a lot during the night.

Just wondering if there is a good Chinese herbal to add into the regine. Monthly chiropractic helps a lot but he definately has a lot of ups and downs.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Sandy
Replies
by naturevet
August 5, 2009
Hi Sandy,

Basically I see Damp Heat and Blood stasis here, as I'm sure you do as well. Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin is our top choice for that.

I would also, however, put the dog on Symphytum (homeopathic versions available in the US; tincture in Canada). It is especially suited to resolving pain from OCD lesions like ununited anconeal processes. It appears to work by resolving any lack of integrity in the bone (e.g. subchondral clefts). It could even unite if it was still there - it has a strong stimulant effect on osteoblasts and chondroblasts.

That's where I'd start. Another potential candidate is the use of Eupatorium perfoliatum (Boneset) either by itself or with Hoxsey, but you should see some benefits from the above protocol alone.

Hope that helps,

Steve
by naturevet
August 9, 2009
Hi Sandra,

This is a test. Let me know if you got the message regarding this reply.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply