Question Details
Color Dilution Alopecia
by Nate Heilman - August 5, 2009
Hello to all,

Has anyone had experience managing a case of color dilution alopecia with herbs? I saw a blue doberman female, 17 MO that began showing signs of CDA at 6 months of age. The diagnosis was confirmed via biopsy. The condition has progressed to involve most of the dorsum. Lesions are mild and non pruritic. The dog shows some Dampness signs (gas, loose stool on occasion) as well as Liver Bloood Deficiency (poor peripheral circulation, and skin immunity). The tongue is reddish lavender and wet, and the pulses are wiry. BL 18, BL 25, SP 9, and LV 3 all seemed to be active, with BL 18 softening the pulse the most. The dog has responded favorably to antibiotic courses in the past, with a quick recurrence. I placed the dog on Chu Shi Wei Ling Tang, to address the mixed pattern. I was curious if there is any precedent of improving this condition with herbs. Thanks for any ideas, or experience.

Nate
Replies
by naturevet
August 6, 2009
Hi Nate,

Certainly the dorsal lesion distribution suggests that a Wind Invasion component exists. So that narrows the field considerably. If the dog is Damp and not hot, CSWLT is a fine place to start.

Who knows, you may be the first to treat this with herbs. Keep us informed of the saga!

S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply