Question Details
Si Miao San For Papillomas?
by ericahawker - August 8, 2009
I have a new patient--10 yr old FS Husky that has had decreased energy the past year and has recently developed several papillomas on front feet and right ear.

She has a yeast otitis externa AU and moist erythema on undersides of all 4 feet. She is arthritic and has a good appetite, but sometimes it is decreased. Panting a lot also. The papillomas bother her and cause her to lick them and they bleed. Stiff gettting up and lying down. Enjoys the colder weather. Restless at night and dreams.Only other abnormality is odor to perivulvar region secondary to urine soaked fur. Owner hasn't noticed incontinence though.

Pulse is deep, difficult to feel and weak. Tongue is pale pink and
moist.

Overall I think she has damp heat with spleen qi deficiency. I think SMS would work best for this patient but am wondering if I need to do anything else for the papillomas.

Thanks-
Erica
Replies
by naturevet
August 9, 2009
Hi Erica,

I agree the dog could benefit from an anti-Damp Heat herb and diet. If the pulse is that feeble, San Ren Tang may be a better call, as it increases peripheral circulation, which can help the body mount an immune response against peripheral problems like the papillomas.

If they've already gone home with SMS, see how it goes. They can also get Thuja oil to apply topically to the warts a few times a day. Most herb and supplement specialty stores will probably carry that. It doesn't always work, but can really shrink warts.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply