Question Details
Intervertebral Disc
by landauvet - August 10, 2009
Hi Steve,
8 year old recently MC basset hound
pc. Thoracolumbar jct pain plus RH weakness, pain, or paresis.
Primary found pain at T13/L1
dog weak, legs slide out on slippery surfaces, unable to lift leg to scratch or climb stair. Prescribed oral pred at tapering dose on my recommendation until I could get to him the next day.
Damp heat signs abound: chronic ventral dermatitis, fungal chin infections, stinky farts, greasy coat with dandery feel. Fat with a pendulous abdomen. Not too tender, able to ambulate ok with weakness to HLs.
Tongue. Pink, red underside
pulse. Deep and slippery
points st36, Bl20, Gv14, Gb34

I prescribed SMS and started a home cooked meat-based diet. I neglected to say that he has been eating kibbled corn dog food forever.
My question is this: How do I descriminate between SMS and other potential damp heat formulas for a disc doggie. Formulas like Huo Xiang Zheng Qi San or Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin. Could I add XCHT to SMS?
Thank you for your thoughts.

Kevin Landau
Replies
by naturevet
August 10, 2009
Hi Kevin,

You distinguish from the other formulas by sedating BL 40. If the pulse improves, you need SRT or Huo Xiang Zheng Qi San. The more the pulse is slippery and not very deep, the more SMS will help.

As for XCHT plus SMS, they can certainly be used together. No problem trying that here.

If, on the other hand, BL 40 improves the pulse (I always check that), then SRT fits the points and the pulse well. Remember that it opens up the Triple Burner to allow Damp to descend better, while expelling Wind Damp invasion.

Given how intense the Heat and Damp signs are, starting as you did, and maybe adding XHCT is probably how I would start.

Steve

Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply