Question Details
Vomiting Yorkie
by cchcs21 - August 11, 2009
Good morning. Question on a yorkie that has intermitten vomiting episodes. She is fine for a month, and then will vomit 6 times in one day and then be good again for a month. She is 3 years old and this has been going on since she was spayed at 6 months of age.

History:
She was first seen for hair loss, chewing at feet, and pruritis in Feb 2008. Switching to grain free diet resolved this issue. (Orijen) The vomiting was occurring at that time, but much less frequently. Now it is a monthly basis.

The vomiting episodes always start with her drinking a lot of water and then vomiting several times during that day - she is fine the next day.

TCM questionaire:
She doesn't have a hot/cold preference.
She has runny eyes (yorkie) that are clear discharge.
She urinates frequently - sometimes 8 times a day.
She is a slow eater, sometimes taking an hour to finish her meals.
She gets Orijen, 1/2 cup per day. She is currently on "digestive aid" green hope farms flower essence and essential oils (for anxiety - she is a worry wart). We have tried detox blend from animals apothecary and Sp enteric support as well, and pepto-bismol and these things make her vomit.

When I see her, she is a happy little dog and her exam is always normal. I don't know tongue/pulses on her.

Lab work:
B/C ratio 50.8
TCO2 29 (hi)
Cl 117(hi)
BUN 61
URINALYSIS:
bilirubin 1+
4+ amm Phos crystals
6.5 PH
Abdominal US - normal

The owner is frustrated that we haven't made any progress on this, and that everything we do try makes the dog vomit more....

Help!
Sandy
Replies
by naturevet
August 11, 2009
Without pulse and tongue and point data, there's more guesswork involved. Basically, though, Yorkie's respond well to harmonizing formulas for the middle burner - formulas like Xiao Yao San and Wei Ling Tang. Of the two, I like Xiao Yao San for this dog because of the foot licking and anxiety, which are more typical of dogs with Liver Blood deficiency issues, which the formula addresses.

From a conventional point of view, I feel like there must be a low grade gastritis that flares up. The drinking is probably an attempt to 'put the fire out' in the stomach lining. I would even consider Yi Guan Jian, were the dog's appetite high, since this might signal Yin deficiency. So Xiao Yao San might be where I would start. Even sucralfate and pepcid would be expected to work, if the above thinking is correct.

Any restlessness or pain here of a musculoskeletal origin? If so, then Bonset (Eupatorium perfoliatum) is indicated.

If you get pulse and tongue and point data (I know you don't do acupuncture, though), it will help.

Good luck. Whatever you use, start small.

S
by cchcs21
September 22, 2009
Hi Steve,

Follow up on this case. She has been giving the Xiao Yao San for a month, with no change.

The vomiting is still occuring. There has also been one episode of large bowel diarrhea. Otherwise, no new symptoms.

So do you think that trying the Yi Guan Jian is the next step or do you have other thoughts?

THANKS!
Sandy
by naturevet
September 22, 2009
I guess with the history of colitis, I'd now look at Damp Heat formulas. Si Miao San or San Ren Tang. Damp Heat fits the pollakiuria as well, and the response to elimination of grains. Without pulse and tongue info, your guess is as good as mine which of the two to try out.
S
by cchcs21
October 11, 2009
Steve,

It has taken awhile but I finally got the owner to schedule an appointment.

The tongue is lavendar and pulse seems rapid and easy to feel (?).

No clue on the active points.

I did recommend a UA (for the freq urination)but owner "forgot" to bring urine sample in....so that is still pending.

She has not yet tried the damp heat formula you suggested (she never stopped in to pick it up). She also stopped the Xaio Yan San that she used previously. No change in vomiting status, while on or since stopping, the herb (still vomiting). The diarrhea is a sporadic thing.

Thoughts?
Sandy

by cchcs21
October 25, 2009
Hi Steve,

Did you receive the last post? I sent it earlier this month.

Sandy
by naturevet
October 25, 2009
Hi Sandy,

If you haven't tried a Damp Heat approach, then that would be the next step. The full rapid easily found pulse is most consistent with Damp Heat vs. Blood deficiency.

S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply